1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Girls sue school system for allowing trans athletes to complete

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Never said that. I’m just pointing out the inconsistency being argued in this debate about equality.

2. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Equality doesn’t equal equity.

OscarMadison likes this.
  3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Well, I did use the term biological equity. But the law guarantees equal just under the law, not equitable justice under the law

4. Baron Scicluna

Then have teams and competitions for transgenders only.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Bullshit. You can't possibly be dense enough to believe this. Your argument ignores the entire reason girls' sports teams exist, which is because, in general, males are significantly faster and stronger. A biological male completing with girls has an unfair advantage. The same is not true of a biological female competing with boys.

What you are really arguing for is to throw fairness out the window out of sympathy for people who are facing a difficult challenge in life. The contradiction is you arguing against fairness while claiming you are doing the opposite.

6. outofplace

Now you want to build a straw man to take a whack at. Nobody said that.

Biological males can compete with biological males. It sucks. There isn't a solution that works for everybody, but that is the solution that is most fair to all concerned.

OscarMadison and Iron_chet like this.
  7. Baron Scicluna

That difficult challenge, which also is biologically-based, is also about fairness. Who gets to decide what is more fair or less fair?

8. Baron Scicluna

Chet brought up equity. Wouldn't that be the most equitable solution?

9. outofplace

The people running the sport will be the ones who have to decide at first, but it is going to be the courts.

That said, this is sports. The level playing field should always come first. That means the most fair solution is biological males competing with biological males.

10. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Has anyone else asked anyone who is active in sports and trans? Maybe I'm the only one who knows someone well enough to ask.

Maybe it doesn't apply in this situation, but I've always figured the best answer is going to come from someone who would be or could have felt an impact from the idea in question. (Ex. If a Black person says something is racist, then that's the final word on it. My white-ish hot take does not carry as much weight.)

11. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

No equality doesn’t always mean equity. Saying no to biological males competing in women’s sports is an equitable solution. I don’t think boys should be allowed to play on girls field hockey teams either.

It’s not equal but it is equitable in that it gives girls a place to compete.

I think it is incredibly selfish for formerly male athletes to compete as women.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. Baron Scicluna

Selfish? Sure, they’re going to go through ostracism, discrimination and all sorts of psychological issues just so they can compete against women.

Sheesh.

OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted