1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Girls sue school system for allowing trans athletes to complete

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Feb 13, 2020.

1. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

You actually reading my post would have saved you some time.

Right there in my post before the link.

So if you're not even reading my posts, there's no point in continuing. Toodles.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Level playing fields are relative. It’s pedantic to hold anyone using that phrase to some perfect definition of it.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Didn’t you claim that your previous post was your last on the subject? I guess honesty really is beyond your capacity.

My point was that you were cherry picking quotes that fit your argument, which you have been doing all through this. Acknowledging that there are dissenting comments doesn’t change that. I read your post and refuted it, so now you want to run again. If you keep your word this time, you won't be missed. Toodles!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Great. Solo wants to run away, and we've got the board's primary contrarian troll picking up the torch.

The level playing field is crucial to all sports. It is why we have weight classes in boxing and wrestling. It is part of why we have teams for men and teams for women in some sports. It is a huge part of why many of the rules and distinctions in sports exist.

Like objectivity in journalism, it is a goal, not a standard under which everyone must reach perfection.

Dig into the real discussion and post something of value or please take your tired act elsewhere.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

We're in agreement here. I was responding to some Yale doctor's pedantic line about how playing fields are never truly level, hence differences in girls and transgender girls are immaterial.

Of course they're material.

But you'd be wise to know to that, wherever there's an emerging market, there's always going to be a lot of thinking and talking in and around said market that shapes ongoing conversations. One of the "experts" cited in the Courant story is some lawyer who's now director of an advocacy center at a university. I mean, we might as well quote oop from your couch or smallpotatoes from the driver's seat of his Amazon truck, for all a "lawyer" who's "studied" things can be considered an expert. One of more the interesting developments in society is how, when we house something, anything inside any college - even Western New England University - it somehow enshrines authority on it.

It's part of why I brought up the onus of suicide rates on public policy. "They're going to hurt or kill themselves" is a poor - arguably one of the worst - rationales for any movement on public policy, but such are the sentimental, shallow times we live in that people will use any cudgel as a means to change. So I asked which demographic shouldn't be able to use suicide as a rationale for pushing policy change.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I mean, it's literally her role, which I assume she's getting paid for. And I don't begrudge her that, but I wouldn't expect her to equivocate. Would you?

"Civil rights" is tossed around for all kinds of issues, to the point where it loses some or all of its meaning.

7. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

8. SoloFlyer

More evidence that the case in Connecticut has never been about fairness, but about bigotry.

Judge in Connecticut high school track lawsuit asked to recuse himself after he orders lawyers to not call transgender girls ‘male’

We can go around in circles about the fairness of the competition - and indeed, we did that exhaustively in this thread. Constantly and consistently misgendering someone, and then asking the judge to be removed when corrected, is just outright hatred.

The arguments should be based on science and ethics, not a dislike of someone because they're different.

9. Iron_chet

10. SoloFlyer

Sorry, but this is an opinion piece by an author who has a book coming out about, "Why, in the last decade, has the diagnosis "gender dysphoria," transformed from a vanishingly rare affliction, applying almost exclusively to boys and men, to an epidemic among teenage girls?"

Just a tad biased, no?

11. Iron_chet

Opinion piece or not the central premise of the arguement is that you can’t just claim you’re a girl when biologically you are not.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  12. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Can they say “athletes with a Y chromosome” or is that outright hatred as well?

Draft saved Draft deleted