1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Girls basketball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by thegrifter, Nov 24, 2006.

1. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

They have that in the football league here: 30-point lead = run time.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

They have that here for girls and boys basketball. Up by 40 in the second half, running clock, even during free throws. I think it only stops on coaches timeouts.

We got it in football too. Up by 35 in the second half, running clock. If losing team cuts the lead to under 35, normal clock rules are back in effect.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Listening to the refs, they said the only time the clock stops is on coaches timeouts and if someone is injured.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Hopefully the home coach screamed back, "Get Better."

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

A running clock wouldn't have helped that team I covered last week...

Our running clock for football is a 45-point lead in the second half. I covered a game once where one of the teams I used to cover was up by 50 early in the second quarter. I was on the sidelines and asked one of the officials if he could do anything to speed the game up. He looked at me and said "son, I wish I could," and walked off laughing.

And Starman, I think the home team coach yelled something like that, but it wasn't put very nicely...

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

KY, why is Coach Two-A-Days your avatar?

7. KYSportsWriter

No reason, really. I should change it, but I can't find any good avatars.

8. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Today, I was ordered to cover a high school hockey game that I knew was going to be a mercy-rule game (and it was). But the publisher wanted something local in the paper, and this was what was available.

9. KYSportsWriter

We had a boys' game finish with a score of 125-28. One of the teams just absolutely sucks and shouldn't even offer the sport at the school...

10. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

Down here, that would have happened during the first quarter of a game last night. 47-0 at the quarter, 75-5 at the half, 119-11 the final.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Just had this gem called in tonight.
    In a girls basketball game, the winning team coach claimed her girls had 45 steals and forced 48 turnovers... (wait for it)... in a 72-17 win.
    If a team is bad enough to only score 17 points, I think that they committed more than three unforced errors...

12. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

A boys' team in our district (outside of coverage area, thank you baby jesus) pulled off this gem last weekend -- 17 points, 9 through three quarters.

In football, these guys are playoff regulars. Right now, they're either wrestling or getting wasted. I'm sure the hoops coach is doing plenty of the latter, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted