1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Girls basketball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by thegrifter, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

No wonder SWE is euphoric. Got Cobb and most of the football talent. Small wonder Pinetops hasn't already built signs for the city limits in his honor.

Sounds like North Edgecombe and that poor AD/coach are pretty much cooked for a long time. Sad to hear.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Just got in from a 123-19 game...

Home team was up 76-13 at halftime and held visiting team scoreless in the third. Star athlete from home team outscored visiting team by herself with 31 points (29 at halftime).

Home team uses a full-court press defense that created 33 turnovers in the first half and over 40 for the game. Visiting team coach was screaming at home team coach to call off the press in the first quarter.

3. Quick question: Why are you guys 'getting in' from these games? As in, why are you even staffing them? When the score winds up that bad, you must have known ahead of time they were going to be utter blowouts.
    Just curious.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

From past experience -- If you're at a small daily or weekly with only one or two schools in your coverage area, or only a handful of schools are home on a Friday night, you don't really have a choice.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Local team tonight was up 40-22 with 5:43 to play. Visiting team rallied like mad to make it 42-40 with 13.7 seconds to play, but local team held off to win 44-42.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Took a call-in tonight. 45-9 final score. It was 2-0 after the first quarter. WHEEEEEEE!!!!

EDIT: And there's nothing quite like getting an e-mail saying, "your biast" against "there" team. ::)

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

We staff all district games regardless of who's playing. We all knew it would be bad, but damn. That game was fucking terrible.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Most of the posters getting back from them probably aren't SEs. It's not their choice.

We've all been to bad games because we're told to be there. I let my SE have it for doing so, knowing in advance the games would be awful. Quick summary: I'd be willing to bet a lot of these assignments are out of their individual control.

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I think I may have a trump card to play: not only did I watch bad girls basketball tonight, I watched bad girls basketball between two deaf schools.

10. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

We had a 63-8 game up here.

Crappy local school plays a private school with a first-year program. Private school has less than 50 kids.

I still think it's worthy of a small feature. You gotta give this team credit when it goes through the growing pains of a first-year program.

11. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Sometimes the girls' game sucks, but the boys' game will be badass. And god knows we couldn't forget about the girls' game. They work just as hard. ::)

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Last week, my cousin's Marin County (Ca.) high school team played its first preseason game, smoking its opponent 67-17. Because of a new rule (I'm not sure if it was implemented state-wide or just league-wide), once a team has a forty point lead, the clock runs.

Draft saved Draft deleted