1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Girls basketball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by thegrifter, Nov 24, 2006.

1. stevenash

stevenash Member

same here! i'm excited, can't wait to see dan turner drop 25

2. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Saw the defending city champs get POUNDED last night. This ain't your mama's championship team. God, I love high school hoops.

3. stevenash

stevenash Member

who?? wat was the score?

4. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Ah, it was a way up here in the Great White North. Upstart fifth-place team from a year ago knocked off the defending champs 53-26.

PS - Four-quarter games sans shot clock suck! Can't wait for Ontario to get online with the rest of the county: Two 20-minutes plus shot clock. Then the REAL basketball starts.

5. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

We had a game wind up 101-14 the other night. The thing is, in the second half the winning team apparently was running up and down the court, shooting within seconds of crossing halfcourt. Ludicrous.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

There was a state quarterfinal game end up 60-18 here. Winning team was 24-1, losing team ended up 12-13.

They were 8-12 going into the tourney, win two district and two regional games before losing the quarter.

The district is usually pretty strong (have had state champs and a Miss Basketball), but it must have been a little down for an 8-12 team to get through.

7. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

You know why I love America, and the American sports landscape? Because that losing school's town will erect a sign at the city limits reading: Welcome to Podunk, Home of the 2006 Senior Girls Basketball District Quarter-finalists.

Okay, maybe not, but I did read one on my way to Green Bay. It said "home of the 2003 Varisty Girls Basketball State quarter-finalists"

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

We had a few lopsided scores in our state last night: 89-8, 63-7, 75-10, 73-26, 86-29, 75-23, 90-38. We have a lot of shitty girls' teams.

One team in my area won a game 91-86. A girl on our local team scored 39 points and two girls on the other team had a double-double with 32 points and 15 boards. That musta been a helluva game to watch.

9. keef spoon

keef spoon Member

Girls basketball is hell on earth. One of the biggest problems I've always had is how to describe their shots -- is it a layup or a short jump shot?

You'll find better athleticism and play in many JV boys' high school basketball games than you will in college women's basketball games. Don't believe me? There's been, what, 4 dunks in the history of women's college basketball? I've seen more than 4 with my own two eyes in JV boys' games.

And yes, I know, it's not all about dunking. But it says a lot about the athleticism (or lack thereof) in women's college and especially girls high school hoops.

10. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

Girls basketball, with a few exceptions, is the drug-free cure for insomnia.

11. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

Call me what you will, but I actually like girls basketball when it's well done. It's obviously a different game than the boys play, but it's still basketball. I don't even buy it's a purer form of the game shit, but it is watchable when done right.

Now, small school girls basketball is particularly rough on the senses. At what level do they teach literally shooting from the hip? It's a stat nightmare too when there's like six offensive rebound putbacks, and three of them don't hit any rim.

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Game here last night wound up 15-7. Yikes.

Draft saved Draft deleted