1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Girls basketball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by thegrifter, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The lawsuit will ultimately win. The MHSAA's arguments of certain doom if the seasons are switched are moronic. 49 other states play girls basketball in the winter, Michigan can too.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

MHSAA has a better chance of winning now that the appeals court said the plaintiffs couldn't use Title IX as the basis for the lawsuit.

3. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I covered a 20-16 girls game last year. No joke: One of the guards on one team literally couldn't dribble the ball -- I don't think the ball ever hit the floor more than two consecutive times without it hitting her foot or just bouncing away or her committing a double dribble. And I lost track of turnovers because at some point in the first half, there was a mad scramble of turnovers, like in a youth soccer game where all the players just kind of swarm the ball, and it gets shifted back-and-forth between the two teams about a dozen times in 15 seconds. But there must have been 60 turnovers, because at least half of the game's possessions failed to even result in a shot attempt.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Statistically, those wouldn't be turnovers then, at least according to the NCAA.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Our season kicks off Sunday, both the girls' 10 year old league and 13 year old league. A double header. We're looking forward to full local coverage.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

It'd be even better if awkward were spelled correctly. :p

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

No, sir, the plain fact is that YOU haven't seen many girls' games.

The level of play, at least where we are, is pretty damn good.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I agree with shotty. Of course, I'm spoiled. I saw Candace Parker play in high school.

9. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

[​IMG]
    Girls play basketball? Whaaat?

10. schrdp2002

schrdp2002 Member

I would rather watch bad boys basketball than bad girls basketball.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Around here, we routinely have boys games end in the high 20's to mid 30's.

Lot of emphasis on defense, not a ton of post talent.

12. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I'm pumped. Boys season tips off tonight here.

Draft saved Draft deleted