1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Girls basketball

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by thegrifter, Nov 24, 2006.

1. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Yep, Ontario is the only province to have girls in the fall and guys in the winter.

Everywhere else, both are winter sports.

2. good freaking lord

would love to cover that

3. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

My all-time favorite call from a coach phoning in game stats a few years ago, listing off his team's score by quarters:

"1 ... 4 ... 2 ... 2 ... WE SUCK!"

4. Girls hoops final, 35-30.
    The turnover race was closer, 26-25.

5. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

I'd venture to say you're wrong.

And even if you are right, at least the uncompetitive boys games are watchable.

A bad girls basketball game is like watching a fat person trying to climb stairs: it's so bad, it's almost akward to watch.

6. Damn...what boys games are you watching? Basketball must not be as good in your area.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Whom do they play?

8. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Well, Ontario's collective population is 12.5 million people; how many high schools that translates into is beyond me, but it's a lot (seven in the city I live in, population 76,000). And all high schools in the province play senior girls (and junior girls) hoops in the fall.

There are AAAA, AAA, AA and A classes. In each class, a minimum of 16 teams meet in the provincial championship tournament. One winner at each is crowned and there is no national championship.

Same as American state championships (I assume), Ontario girls just play in the fall and are done by Christmas break.

Guys tip off this week, I believe. And they end in March. The same format in Ontario is used for guys and girls. The problem with that is, guys break for Christmas and exam week in January. It sucks. No flow.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Michigan state championships are similar to yours.

Every team in the state makes the district tournament and those are divided geographically. Then there are four team regional tournaments. Districts and regionals each last one week.

Then there is state championship week, which is this coming week. Quarterfinals, semifinals and the final. Quarters at a neutral site spread around the state. Semis and finals are at Michigan State's Breslin Center.

10. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

[quote authorY=Junkie link=topic=34372.msg904414#msg904414 date=1164523759]
    I saw a two-point game today in which both teams scored in the 60s. The level of basketball was higher than any I could play at any time in my life. It's not all bad. In fact, I'd venture to say that, while there are no 89-3 games, there are far more uncompetitive boys games than girls games.
    [/quote]

You, sir, have not seen many girls games.

11. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

That is one of the funniest lines I think I've ever read. Such an odd comparison but I actually know exactly what you're talkign about... and that is now my sig.

12. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

A bad sports reporter (who is no longer a sports reporter) I once worked with at a weekly, used this as a lede:

- - The only good thing about senior girls basketball games is that the senior boys play next. - -

He then went into the boys story and mentioned the girls score.

This was in a place where both guys and girls play during the same season. Double-header style.

Draft saved Draft deleted