1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Girls...as friends?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jakewriter82, Feb 17, 2008.

1. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

I think this is the key right here. My best friend is also a female, but i am not her "type" and she is not mine. But we talk all the time, drink like fish and curse like sailors. It's a good match for everything except the bedroom. And I can ask her style questions and not feel like an idiot.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I still think your "bone it like you own it" ranks higher.

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

It's definitely possible. I have several close girl friends. It's harder to transition from friend to relationship partner if you have a girl as a friend already.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

One of my best, closest friends is a girl I've been friends with since college. We both love sports, drinking, cursing, and lamenting our struggles with the opposite sex. Our birthdays are two days apart. When one of us has a wedding or formal affair to go to, neither of us hesitate to take the other as a "date" since we both clean up well. Neither of us, no matter hooooooow drunk or whatever, could touch the other beyond a friendly hug. It would be, without a doubt, the most awkward "touch" between two people I could imagine.

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

All but one female friend in my life I either had a relationship with, wanted a relationship with, or thought about what it would be like to have a relationship with.

This female friend was one of the best friends I ever had. I never, ever thought about her as anything but a friend. People thought we were a couple, and when they would bring it up, we would look at each other and say, "Ewww ..."

It's possible, but it obviously doesn't happen often.

6. longgone

longgone Member

Sorry, it's not possible. All you need to know about this topic is in the first 30 minutes of When Harry Met Sally.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm calling BS on that one.

Are straight men attracted to every single woman they come across? Are women attracted to every single man they come across? To suggest that a straight man and a straight woman can't be platonic friends is to somehow hint that the undercurrent of attraction would always exist. We know that isn't true.

8. longgone

longgone Member

Women and men are much too different to be friends in the true sense of the word. think about the real friends you've had across your life...people you could share almost anything with. these sorts of things don't cross gender lines.
    additionally, yes, as Billy Crystal pointed out, you want to nail every woman.

9. Maybe not for you, but that doesn't mean it applies to everyone. What a closed-minded way of looking at world. Sure, there are some things that are awkward to discuss between men and women, but if you find the right friend, that all goes away.

I have plenty of female friends that I don't want to nail. I wouldn't even think about it, their friendship matters a lot more to me than one time in the sack with them. It's men that thing this way that make it hard though, women don't trust that some men aren't constantly thinking about getting into their pants.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Also, another girl I've been good friends with since the end of HS is married to my best friend. Never, ever wanted to touch her either. Especially now that they're waiting for their first child. But she knows lots and lots about me, is very close, and is someone I'd definitely trust. In the past we've gone out together, just the two of us, for happy hours or whatever. So that's two girls I can be friends with in the truest sense of the word.

11. longgone

longgone Member

Some guys just can't bring it, I guess.

12. So you honestly want to nail every woman you meet? If not, then there is nothing standing in between you and being friends with a woman. If you do want to nail every woman you meet, then good for you, I'm just glad I don't have such low standards.

Draft saved Draft deleted