1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Girl kidnapped 18 years ago resurfaces; they got the kidnappers, too

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Aug 27, 2009.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

She was 11 years old at the time, apparently remembers everything and two people are in custody.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/08/27/BA4N19EJ35.DTL

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Intense. Looking forward to hearing the details of her last 18 years.

3. 3 p.m. (Colorado time) presser...

The parents separated after the girl's disapperance.

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

That's incredible and simply awesome!

She said she remembers everything. Not sure I want to know what's happened to her the last 18 years.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I'm curious about the girl (now woman)'s real father and could he have had a role. The story linked has little detail about the actual investigations from 18 years ago. I'd assume that if he was alive and it was a case of custody fighting the real father was looked at closely. But I don't know anything about him from that story.

That the woman has been an adult for the last 11 years and remembers everything but never "got away" or made contact with authorities or her mother on her own makes this one story with a lot of questions.

6. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

The "brain-washing" angle will surely be played. The father is quoted in one story as having "endured years of scrutiny" over this, so I am betting his colon is clean lest he is smarter than you'd think. I am not a big fan of draconian justice, but public execution for these perps is something I could get down with.

7. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I heard on the radio the kidnapped woman now has two kids.

This is one of the strangest stories. Can't wait to read/see more.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

This'll be on Law & Order by March.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Which is probably why she couldn't get away during all these years, she couldn't figure out a way to get them away from the perv.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Two kids with her captor. Turning out like the Austrian case.

Horrible.

11. mb

mb Active Member

This guy has damn near hit for the Triple Crown of reasons they're gonna wear your ass out in prison.

12. WTF do you do with sex offenders, seriously?

The SOB was released in 1988, a few years later he abducts a young girl ... .... jesus I feel for her and her family...
    Yeah the guy served his sentence, but it was prety clear he wasn't and likely can't rehbabbed.
    WTF do you with guys like this - when they are to be released and more than likely will offend again.
    They paid the debt, but god damn, you know it is only a matter of time until they strike again.

Draft saved Draft deleted