1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ginn Resorts in deep crap, ends PGA & LPGA tourneys

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 28, 2009.

1. lono

lono Active Member

I remember when Bobby Ginn came into NASCAR and all the B.S. he slung about sponsor synergies and how his business model was going to revolutionize the sports. Uh, huh.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Unfortunately, if Ginn goes belly-up, it's possible the course goes down with it. I've had relatives in Florida tell me of friends who bought in a golf-course community at the end of the boom, ended up being one of the few actual residents, and watched the golf course in the back yard turn back into nature. Not that the world needs more golf courses, but these folks didn't buy where they did to be close to fire ants and alligators.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

These are pretty high-end courses -- Watson- Nicklaus- and Palmer-designed along with Anika Sorenstam's golf school. I'd think they'd be worth saving by someone at the right price but, yeah, I guess they cold turn back into swamps.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

As a native Floridian, I can only say this: If you live down here, you're close to fire ants and alligators. Snakes, too.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

What a shock: Bobby Ginn runs a company into the ground. There are still cars in Hilton Head with bumper stickers saying, "Honk if Bobby Ginn owes you money."

He'll re-invent himself in 5-10 years and sucker more people.

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Of course, the real estate agents don't tell the non-native Floridians buying these places about that stuff.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

Who's buying these days?

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Simon Cowbell

9. 2muchcoffeeman

Maybe a better question was "Who's selling these days?" I know a lot of real estate agents who suddenly became interested in bartending classes.

10. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Been to the Ginn place in Port St. Lucie called Tesoro. Beautiful. But not many houses built. The clubhouse is something like 64,000 square feet and looks like a home for royalty. Ginn quietly went belly up there sometime late last year... you can bet the folks that paid what I think was $2 to $3 million to get in there aren't happy.

11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Ginn closing down its real estate sales division is like McDonald's saying it's no longer going to sell burgers. I'd love to be able to see and compare some of the financial statements over the last two or three years.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

The clubhouse in Palm Coast (the Conservatory) is just as palatial. They recently closed the restaurant and the bar, and laid off the head pro. The only people working there are a skeleton crew cutting the grass and one chick in the pro shop to check in foursomes.

Draft saved Draft deleted