1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ginn Resorts in deep crap, ends PGA & LPGA tourneys

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Jan 28, 2009.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090129/ap_on_sp_go_ne/glf_ginn_sponsorship_ends_5

The sports news:

The rest of the bad news:

So maybe somebody on a business or golf beat can answer this question: How much trouble is Ginn in?

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Between golf and NASCAR, Ginn sure came in with a bang but went out with a whimper. And fast.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

Looking back, Ginn Motorsports was probably that company's high point.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

How much money did Bobby dump into the race team?

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The company is in deep shit, with multiple threats of foreclosures, lawsuits and banks calling back loans to be paid in full this very moment. The company probably doesn't last the year.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

Given that ...

... the correct answer is probably "too much."

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Well, yeah. I kinda figured that.

When I saw he was unloading his team as quick as he did, I figured something had to be up.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I suspect the end of the corporate sponsor gravy train, for all sports, is near.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

So do teams get wise to this and start catering to the average fan again? And is it too late to get them back, given the way many teams have continually flipped them the middle finger for the last 20 years?

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Did somebody say Cristie Kerr?

[​IMG]

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Doesn't surprise me. I played in a charity tournament earlier this month at the Ginn Reunion and I'd guess there was about 30 percent occupancy in the homes and condos surrounding the courses. If anyone wants a great deal on a golf course condo in the Orlando area -- and these are beautiful places -- I'm sure they can do pretty well there.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

That picture never gets old. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted