1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gingrich will run if nobody has it wrapped up by Fall '07

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Dec 18, 2006.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

http://www.nj.com/newsflash/politics/index.ssf?/base/politics-8/1166370841286840.xml&storylist=politics

The first three graphs:

Gingrich hints at 2008 White House run

By JOHN HEILPRIN
    The Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) — Newt Gingrich suggested on Sunday he might not run for president in 2008 if a rival has all but locked up the Republican nomination by next fall.

The former House speaker from Georgia said it would not be too late for him to enter the race after next Labor Day, if he believed no candidate had a clear advantage. He praised Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, Sen. John McCain of Arizona and former New York City mayor Rudy Giuliani as the contenders to watch.

"If one of them seals it off by Labor Day, my announcing now wouldn't make any difference anyway," Gingrich said. "If none of the three, having from now 'til Labor Day, can seal it off, the first real vote is in 2008. And there's plenty of time in the age of television and e-mail, between Labor Day and 2008."

story goes on cite examples of candidates declaring as late as Nov. the year before the primary or January the year of the primary and some more quotes from Gingrich

The last quarter of the story talks briefly about the Democratic side:
    - quotes Ted Kennedy as saying he'll support Kerry should Kerry decide to run again. Kennedy is quoted as Kerry will be making his decision in the next few weeks
    - Connecticut Sen. Chris Dodd, another likely Democratic presidential hopeful, said Sunday he was undeterred by the early strength shown by Clinton and Obama. "This is only 2006," Dodd said on a conference call from Iraq, where he was visiting government leaders and troops from his state.

2. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

I can only dream of someday, for one brief moment, doing something that gives me an ego a tenth of the size of this prick at his lowest moment. What a pompous and delusional ass Gingrich is.

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I doubt he'll win, and I doubt I'd vote for him, but I'd love to see him in the debates to keep everyone else honest.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

"You've got cancer, honey?"

"I divorce you, I divorce you, I divorce you."

"Goodbye"

Pond scum has the upper hand on this creepazoid.

5. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I'd much prefer to see Newt vs Chuck Lidell.

YHS, etc

6. Keeping people honest?
    Newt Gingrich?
    That may be the funniest syllogism in SportsJournalists.com history.
    The "definer of the rules of civilization" is waiting for the country to turn its lonely eyes to a lecturer in history from Bugtussle Junior College.

7. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

But wouldn't it be fun to see Newt and Rudy debate family values?

8. Ledbetter

Ledbetter Active Member

Should make for some fun attack ads.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I think he just views this as a way to finally fulfill his "Contract on America."

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Just wondering how absolutely polarizing a Gingrich vs. Clinton election would be in 08.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Easy there, killer.

Love:
    A BJC alumnus

12. Hey, you were probably too smart to take Professor Gingrich's class which was, I believe, entitled, "Me, And My Importance To Western Civilization."

Draft saved Draft deleted