1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Gimme Shelter" is so freaking awesome

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pringle, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Levon's viewing it with a bias. As a participant, as a member of the band, his view is colored.
    As a movie fan and music fan, my view is not colored. I'm able to watch the movie based on it's own merits, something Levon can't.

2. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

When you hole up in a house with the windows painted black for a couple of years, things tend to get messed up, I would think. Robertson's "America Roulette" is worth a listen.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I think the interviews are ok. The one with Danko giving the glimpse into what happens after the break-up is especially well done.
    And even if you don't like the interviews, the filming of the music is very well done.

And yes, Robbie did kill the Band. Dammit.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Just heard a cover version of Gimme Shelter by Patti Smith. She is releasing an album of cover songs on 4/24.

If you love the song you will love this version.

5. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr 70,

Read the preview of Smith's covers album in Rolling Stone. Must get. She is one of my all-timers. Saw her live a few years back -- she talked about her love of baseball. Who'd of thunk?

The version of Gimme in the movie is the all-time version.

YHS, etc

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Mr Friend - this version will blow you away. Always thought that Bonnie Rait could do an amazing job on gimme shelter but no way she could top this.

Patty Smith has the perfect souful voice to do the female version.

Look forward to hearing your review.

7. lono

lono Active Member

Yes, but the scene when Robertson talks about being recruited by Ronnie Hawkins to hit the road at 16 is classic: "Son, you won't make any money, but you'll get more pussy than Frank Sinatra."

My wife heard that, looked at me and said, "If you got that offer at 16, exactly how many nanoseconds would it have taken you to say yes?"

Me: "Four."

Draft saved Draft deleted