1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Gimme Shelter" is so freaking awesome

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pringle, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Space I have no doubt that we bumped into each other on the way to the bar for another schaffer.

1974 I was in bar at the Garden at NIT - knocking back 7 n7's watching NC state Beat UCLA on their 19' color tv - At that point I could not see how life could get much finer.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

That story makes me sad for you.

3. Boom_70

Buck - I think we need to convene an emergency NIAFL owners meeting. This development may be a violation of our by- laws.

4. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Boom, remember the way Dean "The Dream" Meminger lit up the Garden for Marquette in the NIT?

Man, you are right. It truly did not get any better than walking around the Garden on a winter's night and catching a heady blast of charred, rockhard pushcart pretzels. And then heading into The World's Most Famous Arena.

5. Boom_70

yes sir - they beat St Johns in finals with Mel Davis

How about the next year with Pistol Pete in NIT? We had a good thread about that a few weeks ago. spnited is a big NIT historian as well.

6. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Man, those NIT's were wild. ... what happened to the Garden? Did it change? Or was it me?

7. Boom_70

all the old irish ushers retired.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's intentional, but I couldn't read the title of this thread without hearing the voice of Carl from ATHF.

9. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

yeah! they did, didn't they? You never felt more welcome than when one of those old dudes would beckon majestically toward your seat. A lost art, for sure. And then you'd maybe see the same dude at the Blarney Stone the next week. And they'd look at you like, "Who the fuck are you kid?"

But, but .... I saw you at the Garden, and ...

"Get the fuck outta here ya punk unless yer buyin'."

10. The one beer to have...when you're having more than one.

11. Boom_70

That could have been spnited

12. Boom --
    Hate to break it, but the year Meminger cleaned up SJ in the NIT was the same year Maravich was there, and the Warriors kicked his ass by about 20 in the semis, during which time Dean's brother stood up behind the LSU bench and announced, "This honky can't dance!"
    RIP, Chairman Al.

Draft saved Draft deleted