1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gilmore Girls Season Opener (Spoliers)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Webster, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I realize that this knocks my masculinity down a few notches, but last night was the first episode of the season.

Very good episode which did an excellent job with the big pile of poop left for it by the Palladinos. There was no good way to deal with the fact that Lorelai slept with Christopher.

The banter seemed a little slower. I find it odd that the EIC of the Yale Daily News wouldn't have a summer job lined up.

Paris lost a ton of weight. She and Mrs. Kim (who was sadly absent) are the best.

Lauren Graham didn't look that good (for her).

A little heavyhanded on the symbolism with the neatness in Lorleai's house compared to the mess at Luke's diner.

2. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Since nobody has responded, leaving poor Webster hanging out there as the only out-of-the-closest Gilmore Girls fan (although I know from past GG threads that there are many of you out there).

I personally thought it was a decent episode. . . though I missed the first 10 minutes. Lorelai seemed to be serious about being done with Luke, though you know that will change.

I still don't understand the stupid rocket as a gift. Even after Rory's long explanation.

I thought that after the car crashed into Luke's, it might lead to Luke leaving town (no diner, no Luke). I also wished that Luke had gone over and pummelled the living crap out of Taylor for that stunt. It would have been great.

That episode sets up the rest of the season well.

3. I'm not leaving Webster hanging. I loved the show until last season's finale. I so pissed at the ending. I'm done with it.
    I hope the whole town is swallowed by a giant fissure - but not before Rosie O'Donnell moves to town!

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I was hoping that when Luke left her standing on the front lawn he was heading over to Christopher's to kill him. That would have been an interesting twist. Seriously I loved the way he was treating her in the preview for next week.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Yeah, I watched, although I swore after last season's debacle I wouldn't.

The dialogue was good; plot advancement non-existent.

Where were the Gilmores? They are the best part of the show now that Rory sucks and Lorelai has lost her damn mind.

And the girl wants more Michele.

6. Jim Tom Pinch

Jim Tom Pinch Active Member

Wow I thought this thread was going to be a spoof. Like a NIA Fantasy WNBA Thread

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'll admit to being a huge fan before last season. In fact, the first 3-4 seasons were some of the most smartly-written stuff around, especially after they turned the West Wing into ER: Washington.

Last season sucked the hair on my nuts.

8. Webster

SID -- thank you. That could have been my first non-replied topic and a pretty non-masculine one at that.

Jake -- an awesome opening for next week would be Luke sitting in his frontless diner, covered in blood.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm all in favor of a "Luke goes psycho" arc for this season. Go out with a bang.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Someone mentioned the mess of last season, and there was a thread on it before. Granted, certain things were contrived before last season (Luke's brief marriage, Christopher's breakup with his wife, Lorelai's romance with the rich dude), but last year made me hope this is the final year.

Since midway through last season (and including last night), the show doesn't seem the same. It seems more like it's written by fans who think they have a formula for Gilmore Girls, and try to follow it. Witty banter, crazy situations involving Kirk and Taylor, Luke gets bitter, etc. Like a Bond movie. Gotta have a card game, gotta have a girl, gotta have an intro, gotta have a car chase. Rinse, wash, repeat.

About the time that Logan cheated on Rory last season after one measly argument then tried to sell "I thought we were broken up! So IN MY MIND, I wasn't cheating on you!" and she accepted it, the show lost me. It went from being a clever show about intelligent people to being an insult. I would guess every frat boy-type who ever wanted to cheat on his lady was writing down Logan's bit of bullshit.

Then you have Lorelai, who has been close to Luke for a long time. And Luke is a guy who is literally part of that town, who is probably not someone you want to mess with. And after all that time of wanting to get married, of waiting, she just up and sleeps with Christopher? I guess they saw the popularity of Grey's Anatomy, and figured having a main character who sometimes makes poor bedroom decisions would spike ratings.

Or the creators were so bitter about their contract dispute that they ruined the show as if to give a final "screw you" to the people who wouldn't pony up more dollars.

Which brings me to last night. The dialogue was poor (Wow, how creative when Rory said seeing Logan leave was a "bad-bye, a very bad-bye."). The situation with the car crashing into Luke's diner just wasn't funny. Was predictable, though. Paris is still my favorite character on the show, her stuff was funny. And she's the only major younger female character on the show who doesn't have her head in her ass right now; witness her lecture to Rory about Logan.

The Logan-Rory stuff makes me cringe. "Oh, you cheated on me, but it's okay since you got hurt really badly in that accident while making an ass of yourself with your friends! And since your dad is sending you off to London so you can learn the business and be rich like him, I'm gonna piss and moan to him about how he's trying to separate us!" Their romance is very poorly-written and just doesn't ring true. At every turn, she is charmed by him only because he comes from a rich family and is thus able to buy her things. And sadly, I don't think the writers realize that is the situation they're presenting.

It is unbelievable how a show once lauded for its intelligent writing, intelligent and clever characters and amusing situations is now reduced to a mediocre soap opera with a moment or two that reminds you of how good it used to be.

But yeah, I'll stick with it since I hope this is the last year.

11. Webster

Here's the problem -- Luke is a perfect guy. Sure, he's grumpy and a bit of a loner, but he was a good guy who was completely devoted to Lorelai. So how can they fight or have any conflict? The show was on the cusp of going in an interesting direction when it looked like Lorelai was considering selling the inn and taking a job with a big company managing inns. Kind of the road not taken for her -- does she settle down and raise another kid in Stars Hollow or does she live out her destiny?

Instead, they come up with this April nonsense which makes Luke look stupid and unlike anything which we have ever seen. There is no reason that he would hide the information from her. There was an episode last year where he said that he needed to get to know April without Lorelai because she was such a dynamic personality that he would get lost in the shuffle. That made sense, but then why did he go back to the way that he was. The Christopher thing was a combination of Amy Sherman-Palladino's infatuation with the actor and a big middle finger to the powers that be.

12. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

It's weird, I really enjoyed this episode, but I still agree with most of the sentiment here. Guess I'm hedging my bets. But I'm really looking forward to the War of the Roses redux next week.

Draft saved Draft deleted