1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gilbert Gottfried fired as Aflac duck due to tsunami tweets

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by finishthehat, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

He did tour and he did not dial it back one bit. I know of one college near me that asked him to never ever plan on returning.

Gottfried, I'm told, actually made the C-word his first word (and repeated it often) during his opening.

I can take him or leave him but he did a bit on Stern after the OJ verdict that forced me to stop the car I was laughing so hard.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Came home from a long night out a few years back and happened to turn on Saget's stand-up routine on HBO or something. Only knew him as Danny Tanner. That turned out to be an incredibly bizarre hour.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I just wish YouTube turned up more than one of Gottfried's '98-99 ESPN Sunday Night Football promos with the poker dogs (or one with decent sound quality).
    Especially the one with blue movies.

5. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

Firing Gilbert for, well, anything is absurd because he's been burning down the barn his whole career. This what he does, for better or worse.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've heard him interviewed so many times and he's really embarrassed and guilty about what he's best known for because he made a fortune from Full House and America's Funniest Home Videos.

He also gets $25K an episode to do the voiceover for HIMYM.

He's very funny, but I'm guessing there are a lot of people who go to his shows expecting him to be family friendly.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There was a story (I think I heard it on Stern) that said that during the year he was on SNL, he didn't write a single bit, that he held on to his best stuff for his standup act.

He's legendary for being cheap. They always rag on him on Stern because every time he comes on, he steals bottled water from the green room and would walk sometimes a few miles to the show rather than paying for a cab.

8. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

All of this made his cameo with Marlee Matlin on last night's Trump Roast even more squeamish.

9. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

The slug says Gottfried's "10 Worst" Jokes about the Tsuinami.

Aren't most of his jokes just the worst anyway...regardless of rank?? I am surprised he has survived this long.

10. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

He's survived because people love to talk about how terrible his jokes are, and can't wait to get high and self-righteous over his next one. If AFLAC hired him after his 9-11 jokes, shame on them, not him.

Draft saved Draft deleted