1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gift ideas for a group? Anyone?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Omar_dont_scare, Dec 5, 2006.

1. So, during the fall, I rent cars for work trips. Often.

I've got the whole corporate rate set up, but the guys at the car office go above and beyond.

The paperwork is all printed out when I get there; all I have to is basically sign and initial. The car? Already ready to roll. And they always mark it down as being on empty, which of course saves me money on gas for the car.

My dad always taught me to reward folks in the service industry who do a little extra for you, so I'm thinking I should get the fellas something.

But, I need suggestions.

I'm thinking about some sort of food they can munch on during the long stretches of nothing during the day.

Are we talking a Hickory Farms basket here? Any other good options?

And keep in mind I am trying to not break the bank on this. $50 and below if possible...

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Hickory Farms is good. My dad and the stepfamily get it every year.

Might check out some local eateries. They often have pre-made up baskets.

3. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Maybe some of those Mrs. Fields cookies or something like that. Don't get too elaborate or messy or they'll get crap all over their keyboards.

4. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Candlesticks always make a nice gift

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Do they have a TV in their office? I recently saw a Golden Tee video game for $30 that just plugs into the TV -- no game console needed. It has the trackball and everything. Their boss might hate it, but it's pretty damn cool.

6. Their office is as spartan as can be.

The building's a converted Pizza Hut and the computers look just this side of an Apple IIe. No TV that I've seen, not sure if there is a breakroom with one.

I'm definitely thinking some sort of food. These are all 20-something guys for the most part, so I doubt they'd appreciate candlesticks--not to slight PDB's recommendation; actually, it's a good idea for another person on the list.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Wow, they mark the gas as empty? That's a major perk. Get them some good food or Starbucks gift cards if they always have a cup on the counter in the mornings.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Hershey's has some nice stuff that is perfect for group or you could spring for a hooker that would service all the fellows in the back room.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

My favorite part of this post is how normally it started out.

Bravo.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Nice reference...

11. D'oh! And I just got it... *hangs head in shame*

12. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Wow. I feel like a complete imbecile now. I still don't get the candlestick reference.

I also can't imagine why someone would rent a lot of cars from the same place. I mean, I can see renting at various spots across the country after flying in for a week stay.

Anyway, I suggest popcorn. Not the cheap tins, but the popcornfactory. I believe they have a Web site with killer popcorn. They also have assorted snack packs, which might be better. It's been my experience as a former working stiff in the business world that everyone at the office will want a differnet part of a gift basket. I mean, there's always some asshole who thinks black licorice is better than white chocolate-covered pretzels. Wait. Don't think that I'm stereotyping. I could have used white licorice and dark chocolate. Actually, I don't think they make white licorice. Why is that? I demand equal rights in sucky candy!

Draft saved Draft deleted