1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gift cards are taking over

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Dec 4, 2006.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I think that's an unfair knock.

I know I'd much rather someone give me a gift card and let me do something I enjoy (shop) for something I want. If they just buy me something, figuring I can return it if I don't like it, then that's just extra work for me.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly. The only way I buy them is if someone actually asks for one. Like my brother, he's probably going to ask for a Starbucks card, which is fine, I can do that. But otherwise, eh.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm sending you a $10.00 certificate to Tim's. :)

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Sweet Jesus, if I lived within 500 miles of one, I'd love you forever.

Mmmmmmm Timbits.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'll tell HC. :)
    Maybe you should buy the Southern franchise.

7. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I feel like I'm copping out when I give a gift card. But if I receive one from a place I enjoy, like Target or Qdoba, I think the giver actually <i>did</i> put thought into it.

In fact that's what I requested from my SportsJournalists.com Secret Clause. I figured it was quick and easy, no actual shopping required!

8. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

For pretty much every Christmas since we've been married, my wife's family gives me at least one gift card to Barnes and Noble. I would much prefer that to a shirt or sweater that I probably wouldn't like. Our tastes are very different. So the B&N cards are greatly appreciated.

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I feel the same as PaperDoll. If the gift card has some thought behind it, I'm very happy with it. But if I know that someone just went to a store and bought 15 gift cards for everyone on their list, it's not very meaningful.

10. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i don't get it. JR, you even state that you like getting them. but you think it's a cop out to give them? so did the person who gave it to you cop out?

i'm with IJAG. i'd so much rather have a gift card then something i dont' want or need. maybe that's because i'm a practical person and not all sentimental. i can't think of a time in recent years that someone got me a gift that i thought was amazingly thoughtful and a wonderful choice. not that i complained or even felt anything other than gratitude but given the choice between something random and a gift card, i'll take the gift card every time.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I don't mind getting them but I'd never buy one unless I happened to be buying gifts for a business colleague. It just doesn't exhibit much creativity--that's all.

The best gift card (maybe you guys have it down there) is one you can buy for all the shops in a pretty high end mall near us (Sherway Gardens, if the GTA Canucks want to know)

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Me3.

Draft saved Draft deleted