1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Giants suck, Giants suck

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lamar Mundane, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

Just don't say that to daddy's boy.

We thought the Manning family had a monopoly on whining losers (just Eli and pops)

http://nfl.aolsportsblog.com/2006/12/20/giants-violence-wellington-maras-son-chokes-eagles-fan/?ncid=NWS00010000000001

The Giants frustration due to failure runs deep; deeper than many realized. Yesterday it reached the New York Stock exchange and the son of Giants legendary owner Wellington Mara.

While Stephen Mara was there conducting his business, a long time broker and Philadelphia Eagles fan Bob Tomasulo felt the need to mock him. He did the Giants now famed "jump shot" and was teasing about the humiliating 36-22 loss on Sunday. Eventually he enraged Mara which led to some unexpected violence.

Mara, 47, eventually charged Tomasulo and "tackled" him onto a trading post. Tomasulo thought it was a joke until Mara began shouting obscenities and then proceeded to choke him. It got so violent that Tomasulo actually passed out for over a minute.

"Mara started screaming, 'I'm gonna f- - -ing kill you! Don't f- - - around with my family! Don't insult my family!' " one broker said.

Could it possibly get any more embarrassing for the Giants? I mean really, where does it stop? Apparently after Mara got done choking this guy out, he walked back over to his booth laughing it off.

It don't make you a bad person. It just gives Eagles fans ammo when people bring up booing Santa.

2. The trading floor is no place for the timid. The guy who Mara choked is now marked for life as the guy who got tooled by Mara. I wouldn't be surprised to see that guy lose a bunch of business if he has any clients who are Giants fans. He should have thought twice before mocking Mara (and no I'm not condoning what Mara did).

Bob Tomasulo called down the thunder. Obviously he doesn't know there's a difference between being a big swinging dick and just being a big dick. Not knowing that will cost him plenty.

Mara comes out looking better than Bob Tomasulo in the short and long run IMHO.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Tomasulo is going to be a rich man ... or richer than he already is, I should say.

4. My guess is that there is much more to the story and if Bob Tomasulo sued he'd be opening a can of worms that probably wouldn't be worth it to him.

The comments on that link seem to have eye-witnesses saying that Bob Tomasulo started it and that Mara tried to apologize after the fact and that Bob Tomasulo "almost passed out" minutes after the tussle because he was working himself into a froth. If Bob Tomasulo sues - then Mara will countersue and my guess is that Tomasulo probably has some skeletons in his closet he'd prefer remain hidden.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

the guy mara beat up must've been waaaaaay out of line. don't you think mara has been taunted with just about everything in his life? :eek: :eek: :eek:

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Has the Giants D signed the Mara dude yet?

7. Lamar Mundane

Lamar Mundane Member

Rumor is Eli and Archie Manning are demanding the Chargers trade LT to the Giants for Tiki. Whine and cheese at 6 p.m. on the Grove.

Ah, family tradition continues. What was Daddy's record in the playoffs?

I can toss that baby 15 yards, no problem.

8. tommyp

tommyp Member

I am quoting a witness to the event, which I scored from The Big lead:

"Mara’s a good guy. he was born with a silver spoon up his ass (obviously) and doesn’t actually have to be nice to anyone. but he is. he’s for real, is a nice guy and he sure does take a lot of shit whenever the g-men aren’t doing well. i worked next to him xx years ago and he still says “hi” whenever i see him.

"what’s messed up is this story never should have made the papers. the guess is that Tomasulo (who i also know and like) must have called it in or his lawyer called in. which is a total bush-league move. the floor is basically a big locker room. we all bust each other’s balls all day long.

"the word on the floor is that Tomasulo … is going for a payday. which totally goes against the code on the floor. generally, things should be kept in house, and basically everyone thinks this wasn’t really a big deal anyway. something for us all to laugh about, not something that should warrant a big article in the Post or a lawsuit."

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

the post lives for this stuff. 'nuf said.

10. JCT89

JCT89 Active Member

Tomasulo deserved this one. The guy is supposedly a dick and loves to instigate stuff. A family member happens to work on the NYSE and knows both and has had nothing but good things to say about Stevie Mara. On the other hand Tomasulo doesnt have the greatest rep on the floor. This stuff happens and it never would have seen the light of day had Grasso still been in control, but somehow it leaked.

11. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Well played, sir.

12. tommyp

tommyp Member

So, I guess this thread does prove that while yes, the Giants do suck, Eagle fans suck a lot more.

Draft saved Draft deleted