1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Giants Duped On Their Super Bowl Ring

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I just don't get the logic. Why pay a premium for the Tiffany name. I doubt the Giant players care. It seems like the Giants could have gone to this other company directly and for the same money could have gotten much more ring.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Just don't import the rings over the border
    Only half a sheet of paper required
    But JR waits like a Mountie marauder.

He'll dazzle you with his wit
    But you'll roll your eyes
    And JR will snap and call you a twit.

You'll ask him why, he's being so nasty
    And he'll stammer and fume
    Till he needs an angioplasty.

But JR will be OK
    The ending isn't gory.
    There's a qualified doctor somewhere in the Yukon territory.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You are getting a Tiffany ring. They designed it and are presumably overseeing the production top ensure it meets their standards.

You are working from the assumption that this ring is somehow second-rate because the person who does the actual work isn't a Tiffany employee.

You don't think that the architect who designs your house actually builds it, do you?

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

What proof is there that they could have gotten "much more ring" for the same money?

The stupid issue the Post is making is that the rings are being made in Mass., close to Foxborough. Yeah, that's a legit story.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Are you actually adding something to this conversation?

Or can't you find an expert to quote on the subject of Tiffany rings?

Or are you just trying to show Boom how clever you are?

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Thanks. I thought I was going to lose my mind.

Only Boom could post a story as dumb as this and then not even understand it.

7. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Are the Giants paying the same price they would be paying if they bought the ring directly from the manufacturer?

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If this were an intellectual property discussion, Tiffany would own the copyright.

They designed the ring and oversaw whatever production took place outside their offices.

The company Tiffany hired to produce some of the ring is not an independent agent. They work for Tiffany and are under Tiffany's supervision.

9. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Tiffany owns their name. They presented a design concept to the Giants. I don't know if the Giants signed an agreement regarding proprietary rights to the design once it was presented.

Tiffany is being paid for their design work. And their name.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

What exactly are we arguing about here?

You mentioned something about the Giants buying directly from the manufacturer?

Well, for all intents and purposes, Tiffany is the manufacturer. They sub contracted some of their work out.

11. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

I'm not arguing. Thought it was a conversation.

What I'd like to know is the mark Tiffany put on it. Keystone, if not more, I bet.

Funny you should mention architects above. I have to go check on some construction work being done around here.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

When you figure it out, feel free to come back.

Rough Mix gets it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.