1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Giants / Colts 58 Championship Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Yes it was. Pugh was in "A" gap and all Kramer had to do was block down.

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

"You're with me, leather."

I can't believe that was waiting for me so come along.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I thought some of the choices for the interview subjects were interesting.

No quarterbacks at all. Obviously, Unitas and Conerly are dead, but Don Heinrich is still alive (though I have no idea what kind of health he's in). And no Peyton or Eli, either.

When were these interviews taped, by the way? I wonder if Steve Smith was a last-minute stand-in for Plaxico Burress.

And why no Alex Hawkins? I always found him excellent on the old NFL Films productions. But then again, maybe he's in ill health as well.

But yeah, the Donovan-Strahan pairing was awesome. The Lenny Moore-Brandon Jacobs pairing, not so much (Jacobs had zero to offer except "oh yeah? really?").

Also found it interesting that Marchetti would admit on national television that everyone on the Colts hated Alan Ameche.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Actually, Heinrich died a few years ago. George Shaw, Unitas' backup, died in the 1990s.

Still, you would have thought that they could have found some spot for the Mannings.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Ken Bowman helped a little bit too.

6. Boom_70

Yes he did. Here is a clip:

7. Plus, Moore was taking on a linebacker.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Did this result help ease the pain of the Ti-Cats' loss to Winnipeg in the Grey Cup one month prior to this game? :D

You know what would have been cool? A North American championship between the Colts and the Blue Bombers. There were various exhibition games back in those days between NFL and CFL teams but they were pretty meaningless......I think the Bombers would've given the Colts a good test.

9. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

No I was just trying to come up with any better name than Berman. It was harder than I thought. Really, how many people at the WWL would you have trusted in this role?

Summerall would have been good. Maybe Bob Ley. He would have lent much more journalistic integrity than Berman. When I saw Berman was the host, my first thought was "He's going to ruin this with his cliches."

10. Boom_70

Chris Fowler

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I saw that Grey Cup, Double J.

As God as my witness I can still hear myself (all nine years old) yelling at Ticat coach Trimble for that bonehead punt to end the first half. It was blocked and recovered in the end zone for a TD by the Blue Bombers. And the coach of that Winnipeg team was Bud Grant.

Here's a trivia question: which Ticat on that '58 team was also an NHL player (albeit a handful of games)

My cousin Butch played for the Ticats one year.

They they played an exhibition game against the Bills at Ivor Wynne. Butch recovered a Bills fumble in the end zone for a TD but other than that, totally meaningless.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I stand corrected. No wonder they quit coming out with "Don Heinrich's Pro Football" magazine ...

Draft saved Draft deleted