1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Giants / Colts 58 Championship Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Dec 13, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It wasn't an NFL Films deal. They shot some of the footage that was used but it was an in-house deal by ESPN. It was good, but it lacked the Sabol touch.

2. That bit about how they had an NBC exec rush the field to kill time until the feed came back was my favorite part.
    And has Chris Berman ever had a single interesting thing to say? Like, ever?

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Alice. my wife, who used to be a TV producer, agrees with FB. She thinks the guy who ran on the field should be famous.
    As I said on the other thread, for me anyway, the past-present commentaries WERE the program. Hell, we all knew how the game came out. History is people, not film.

4. I also learned that this game was played on my fifth birthday.
    Thanks, guys!

5. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Strahan: "You guys ever break curfew or stay out late?"

Donovan: "WHAT! And risk getting caught!?"

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Surely you meant to use the blue font - Brent Musberger??

They should have used Pat Summeral

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

And if not for Summerall, the Giants season would have ended two weeks earlier:

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/giants/36122754.html

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Excellent show. I hope if it comes out in DVD, that they show some outtakes of Donovan and Strahan. Those two were tremendous together. Found the simulation analysis of the Gifford 'first down or not' play to be a little over the top.

I used to always wonder why the fans surrounded Ameche after the TD when the game was in N.Y. Now I know why, with the thousands of Colts fans there.

One other small thing I've always noticed on NFL Films. Don Chandler's punt in the overtime was incredibly high. I used to think it was just the tape was a little slow, but it looks legit. I wonder what the hang time was on that punt.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The most illuminating old-new dialogue came when a '58 Giants offensive lineman, I think his last name was Barry, explained the old-time holding rules, i.e. no arm extension, no use of the hands, to Chris Snee. The look on Snee's face was priceless. Thought balloon: Holy shit! How did they block ANYBODY???

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

For all the genius of Tom Landry the Giants goal line D seemed flawed and easily allowed Ameche to get in end zone. Found it interesting that they had Huff line up in goal line as down linemen instead of MLB

Happened again 9 years later in the Ice bowl against Green Bay.

Landry must have gone to his grave haunted by goal line plays.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Boom, have you read Mark Bowden's "The Greatest Game Ever Played"? In it, he wrote that Huff felt as if Unitas was in his head, as if the Colts QB knew what the defensive setup was at the line of scrimmage.

12. Lenny Moore's block was better than Jerry Kramer's.

Draft saved Draft deleted