1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

GGG-Canelo

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Wrong guy won tonight. Ridiculous.

2. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Most writers on press row tweeted that they believe it was a draw. A Canelo win in this one isn't nearly as questionable as giving him a draw in the first fight. That one was close, too, but GGG was ahead on most cards.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I'll admit, I was kind of distracted while watching it, but as best I can tell it could have gone either way. Hardly the crime of the century.

Tweener likes this.
  4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I had it 116-112 GGG but it was a really tough fight to score, especially the first eight rounds. It really didn't heat up until the ninth and that's where I thought GGG took over. GGG only got Canelo on the ropes once, and that's where he had so much success in the first fight.

5. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Canelo took the first two rounds, and probably the last round. But GGG was the clear aggressor in the middle rounds, including 10 and 11, when he levied the most damage in the fight.

6. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

All three judges gave Canelo 4 out of 5 from rounds 5-9, when he -- not GGG -- was the one coming forward and dictating the fight. Andre Ward said those middle rounds were the reason he thought Canelo was the clear winner.

I thought both won six rounds, though many of them were so close and it definitely could have gone either way.

7. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Does ahead on most cards = it was close to everyone aside from one stupid bitch who somehow thought Alvarez won easily?

8. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

Here's the thing...GGG did more than enough to win the decision in the first fight. I thought he won the second fight but it was closer so the decision makes sense.

Canelo is not losing decisions. The Austin Trout fight was much closer than the cards and Canelo got a 114-114 card against Mayweather when he lost at least 10 rounds in that fight. He's being gifted decisions whether he earns them or not.

But a hell of a fight.

Tweener likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted