1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Getz is Gay"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

So scrawled White Sox second baseman Gordon Beckham in a the dirt as a playful greeting to his friend on the Royals, former White Sox teammate Chris Getz.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/6412923-574/gordon-beckham-sorry-for-gay-slur-but-he-should-know-better.html

Beckham, in the comments to Telander, clearly does not seem to understand why this is offensive to people. He keeps trying to explain that it was just a joke, just a joke, etc., etc. He meant no harm. He apologizes to "anyone who was offended." But he used "gay" as an insult, and whether he was "joking" or not doesn't matter. In fact, "joking" makes it just as bad/worse. Would you say, "Getz is Black"? "Getz is a Jew"?

Can't believe these guys don't know better at this point. I think there are nuanced ways to joke about race and sexual orientation these days. Smart sitcoms do it all the time. It's called irony. That's not what this was.

2. Chris17

Chris17 Member

Comes just a few days after the DeSean Jackson incident. Professional sports is realllll slow to come around on this one.....

3. Dick Whitman

The approach seems to be completely wrong, in terms of educating athletes. It feels - to me, at least - that they are being told that, basically, the rest of the world is just hypersensitive and that's why you shouldn't say these things. Because we live in a "politically correct" world and so forth and so on. Thinking never gets changed because they are only taught that saying it is wrong, because it offends people, and never get old why thinking it is wrong in the first place.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm a little torn.

What he did was wrong. There's no debating that. I hate that he did that.

But, I also hate that we're at the point where everybody is so hypersensitive about it.

Was what he did wrong? Yes... I wish there was some way to just smack the guy upside the head and say, "Hey dumbass, don't do it again." rather than have to listen to him apologize to "anyone who might have been offended..."

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

How many people still say gypped? Eliminate that and retarded and get back to me.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Just my opinion, but I think people have become way too sensitive to stuff like this.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Easy for you to say when you're not the object of the derision.

8. printdust

printdust New Member

No, Hollywood gets away with it because their money goes to support "the cause."

He should be shot.

9. printdust

printdust New Member

10. Chris17

Chris17 Member

This is completely different than the hyper sensitive world you guys are talking about. Like racism, homophobia is a dangerous reality that has got to be combated. You call this hypersensitive... would it be hypersensitive if someone wrote the N-word, and then was criticized for it?

My guess is you will probably say "the N-word is different." Why, though? What makes the N-word different from "gay" or "faggot"? 60 years ago, it would have been called hypersensitive to call someone out for using the N-word in public. Now, thank God, we've realized that's simply not okay. Hopefully we'll get there soon with "gay".

And btw, Stitch, if an athlete used the word "retarded" in a post game presser.... how do you think that reaction would be?

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

and what cause would that be?

12. Dick Whitman

printdust, what was your opinion when the ESPN First Take host made disparaging comments about Jesus at the Mike & Mike roast?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.