1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gettysburg (History Channel's Civil War Week)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Hank_Scorpio, May 30, 2011.

1. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Go straight to Bruce Catton and don't waste your time with this (well-meaning) mush.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

That's a terribly swift judgment.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Maybe, but there is no adequate substitute for his narrative history and sense of style.

Civil War Journal, on a production/quality level, was the best work they've ever done. They used to show that every morning (before it became the WWII network, and then the province of something altogether different.) Now they have to set aside a special "week," and they'll get right back to the steady diet of the paranormal, conspiracy theories and tabloid garbage for the dumbest generation.

4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I think History took a down turn about the time they dropped Channel from their name.

My guess is someone realized they'd shown everything they had about a billion times, figured there was no way to cheaply freshen up the cabinet so they went the reality type route. I like Pawn Stars well enough. American Restoration is pretty good. American Pickers has good and bad shows. I can't get the connection for Ice Road Truckers, Ax Men and Swamp People to, you know, HISTORY. I don't even watch those shows.

What does History have now, one or two new programs a year and bill it out months in advance as a "special" upcoming event?

5. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

What? You don't like Ancient Aliens? Although that has been played out as well.

6. Herbert Anchovy

The alien shows have their place, just on one of the many other channels owned by A&E.

A few weeks ago, the Brad Pitt celluloid Big Mac "Troy" was showing on the channel. That's a long way down.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Fucking reality shows are a plague on the planet and have turned just about every network on TV into fucking retard-fests.

Bullets in the head for all of them.

8. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

How bout a mini ball to the arm?

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I would have loved to talk to Bruce Catton. What a fascinating life the guy must have lived. The guy spent his whole life researching and writing about the Civil War.

To me it is such a rich part of our history that is well preserved in the form of the battlefields.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

"Troy"? At least that was a movie about some form of human history. One night about a year ago, I turned on History Channel and it was showing "Planet of the Apes"!!!!

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Only the ones wearing Minié skirts.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

They've tried to justify Ice Road Truckers, Ax Men and Swamp People as a window to the past. Sort of "living history," with industries that are throwbacks to the way things were done in the past. I can buy some of it, but one or two seasons of each was plenty for me. There's only so many times you can tease a trucker falling through ice without it actually happening, ya know?
    Pawn Stars, with its format, is actually closer to involving history than any of the other shows. I like how they at least try to give some backstory on the items.

Draft saved Draft deleted