1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gettysburg (History Channel's Civil War Week)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Hank_Scorpio, May 30, 2011.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Anyone planning on watching it tonight?

History Channel, 9pm EDT.

http://www.history.com/shows/gettysburg

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Re: Gettysburg

Longstreet (played by Tom Berringer) has the worst beard in movie history. And every time I look at Lee I think of Jed Bartlett.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Is it a mini-series or are Thursday's broadcasts a re-airing?

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Who beat?

5. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

What I saw of it I liked. I fell asleep about 9:45. Hopefully it'll be up on OnDemand today.
    There are supposed to be other shows on this week. Tonight is Lee and Grant.

6. Re: Gettysburg

It was good.
    I am really intrigued by Rufus Dawes.
    Also had some pretty interesting stuff of Dan Sickles too.

7. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

When I saw this film I thought Sheen's Gen. Lee came across as a doddering old fool, weak, foggy brained and indecisive. The real Lee was worshiped by his troops who would have followed him into Hell. Terrible portrayal.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Not the major motion picture, starring Sheen.

The two-hour special on History Channel.

F-Hack, it's not a mini-series, just part of Civil War week on the History Channel.

Evil, I was intrigued by the Rufus Dawes stuff as well.

9. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Indeed. Probably was a blessing that Sickles got clipped by a cannon ball. And the description of Pickett's Charge was terrifying, especially having to march through an artillery range with no recourse other than to get close enough shoot back.

10. Re: Gettysburg

Did they have to march so slowly? I wondered if the charge was a charge or the slow march they showed? Why would you march that slowly through 400 yards of open field without support or cover and in cannon range of the enemy?
    If I have to make that "charge" I am running my ass off that 400 yards. I'll take a bullet over one of of those cannon shots (esp. the gigantic shotgun) blasts any day!

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Those were "war beards" the forerunner to the NHL's playoff beards.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It was actually closer to 1,700 yards. Almost a mile, while carrying a rifle and combat load. And about halfway across they had to go down an embankment, onto a road, and then back up the other side. At the end, they got to sprint up another hill to the Union lines. Plus, if everyone runs not everyone does it at the same speed. A unit that large, you'd have as many guys getting trampled as shot.

Draft saved Draft deleted