1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getty Images bought for $3.3 BILLION, yes, billion

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TigerVols, Aug 15, 2012.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Can't imagine in a million years how old pictures can be worth that much.

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2012/08/getty_images_acquired_for.php

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

It's a current subscription site. My current job uses it as our photo provider.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Getty has a pretty deep archive, has access to more photo sources than AP does (especially internationally), and seems to be picking up clients. There's revenue potential there.

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Wonder how much they'd go for if they could produce a half-decent cutline.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Some may remember the Carlyle Group's prominent presence in "Fahrenheit 9/11":

From Wiki:

And Getty's worth every penny in my experience. If your employer somehow has a chance to subscribe to it, do everything in your power to make it happen.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I second buckweaver. Getty Images is the best photo service available. It blows the Associated Press out of the water in quality and depth, particularly in its archives, which AP doesn't allow most clients to access.

As for the value, does anyone know how much USA Today/Gannett paid for US Presswire? Getty is superior in sports and has news and entertainment.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

This reminds me: I need to download a few pics of Nick Punto before I leave. :D

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Third vote here. Getty archives have so many photos that usually you can find just the look you want to fit your design. I generally go there first. Terrific resource.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I guess what I'm wondering is - with the print/digital media landscape not exactly rolling in money, how does Carlyle make the money? Are their new revenue streams? I'm sure you can pass along the cost to the customers, but how much and are there that many customers to justify a 30 percent hike in value over a few years?
    I'm almost surprised a Bleacher Report for photogs hasn't cropped up.

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I wish AP could write decent cutlines.

Draft saved Draft deleted