1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting 'untracked'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 19, 2015.

1. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Since I'm guilty of it, what do you suggest using in hedlines? Especially one column hedlines?

2. DeskMonkey1

I once got an email where the parent meant to say their kid gave a verbal to Podunk State but wrote "gave oral to Podunk State."

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

In what scenario would you use commit as a noun in a headline?

4. DeskMonkey1

Well, I guess you could just use their name instead of "Podunk commit" but unless said name is LeBron or one equally recognizable, I have been told to make clear who said person is in the hedline, which obviously make my job difficult sometimes.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Just use their current school. Or use recruit? I guess you are referring to a story on a kid committed to the school your paper covers. I said earlier, I'm not 100 percent opposed to it, so I would let it slide in hed if there was no other option.

6. Dog8Cats

Dog8Cats Well-Known Member

Not trying to second-guess decisions you've made and heads you've written, but if I were the slot at your paper, "commit" would not be used as a noun to describe an athlete on any shift I worked.

For the one-column headline, how about "recruit"? ... State U. / recruit / undergoes / surgery. I assume there would be other nontextual elements to help readers identify which recruit you're talking about (a mug shot maybe, or a subhead) and the fact he's given a nonbinding promise to attend a university of interest to your readers, provided he does, indeed, graduate from high school and achieves the necessary test scores to be an eligible athlete. And doesn't change his mind between now and the letter-of-intent signing period.

BDC99 likes this.
  7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Why does someone undergo surgery. Why not just has. Lol

Dog8Cats likes this.
  8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I've made this fix for years.

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I'd be nonplussed if I ever saw that in a quote.

10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

AP Stylebook Online came out today with updates:

untracked
    Do not use this term for an athlete or team now performing well after a slow period. Use clearer expressions such as back on track. (new entry under sports)

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Screw that. I'm gonna go with "unrutted."

12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I consider "commit" as a noun to be quite valid, and quite understandable, and quite reader-friendly, when written about a recruit who ... commits.

In fact, I'm going to make a point of using it more often.

Potter likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted