1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting to Yankee Stadium

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by beefncheddar, May 30, 2007.

1. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Since folks are in a helpful mood tonight it seems, here's one for you:

I've, somehow, never made it to Yankee Stadium. Wife loves the Yankees and wants to get back there before they move to the new digs. And I want to finally get there myself, as well. I think the reason I've never been is because I grew up believing that going there was a risk-your-life proposition.

So, what's the best way to get there for a game and not end up a chalk outline?

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Driving's a bastard and parking's expensive.

If you're going to take the subway, the B, D and 4 trains all stop at the Stadium (161st Street and River Ave).

Also, there's a Waterway Ferry that stops off at the Stadium.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I'd take the subway, it was good to me when I went to Shea a few years ago, and on a subsequent trip.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Take the subway..the Waterways Ferry is also quite expensive.

Depending on where your coming from, the 4 or the D are the best bets and there's no way you're going to end up as a chalk outline
    (unless you wear a Red Sox jersey in the bleachers)

5. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Subway is your best bet, but if you're feeling adventrous you can always take the FDR/Harlem River Drive, maneuver some one way streets and take the 145th St. Bridge into the Bronx to come in from the other side of the Stadium. That is if you don't mind driving through Harlem.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Don't go because it's evil. :D

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Take the subway, but make sure you don't get on a rush hour express train, which will zip by the stadium stop quite rapidly.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I took the subway the one time I went and the people were very nice. They all seemed very interested that we were from Seattle and were very helpful. I was mildly shocked based on the horror stories I had heard about New York subways.

9. WSKY

WSKY Member

That John Rocker really left his mark, eh?

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Two words -- don't drive.

The train is fine, if a little crowded. Safety is not an issue as long as you get off at the right stop and staying within sight of the Stadium.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

a) Take D train.

b) Disembark.

c) Follow lemmings.

12. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I guess I followed Ben_Hecht's instructions on my trips to NYC, including one to Yankee Stadium. I was heading to/from sporting events and to/from Grand Central, so I felt safe in the big crowds on the train. Only once I hopped off at the wrong stop for a transfer. That was a long five minutes on a deserted platform.

Draft saved Draft deleted