1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting prepared for Y2.01K

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Oggiedoggie, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Well, we've laid in a pretty good stock of beer and chocolate, while we wait for the calendar to change. Hopefully it will go better than Y2K. That one shook me up pretty bad. I ended up writting "99" on my checks until about April.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

OH SHIT!!! ARE OUR COMPUTERS EQUIPPED TO HANDLE THE CHANGE FROM '09 TO '10? OH GOD!!!

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I can remember sitting in the office on Dec. 31, 1999, in a room full of people wondering what kind of shit was gonna go down at midnight. We all laughed and joked about the doomsday predictions, but I'm pretty sure in the back of our minds, we were waiting for planes to start falling out of the sky right at deadline. Alas, nothing happened. In hindsight, had the world ended that night, much of the past decade would have been a lot better.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I was in New Orleans so I called home at 11:05 to make sure shit was still working.
    It was.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

A pretty goddamn good point.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I always thought it would have been fun for ABC to go to black at midnight during Dick Clark's Rockin' Eve. I figured they could keep the screen dark for a few minutes and then flash "gotcha" on the screen.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I wish ABC would go dark for the entire show. That's some God awful TV.

8. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Wait a minute. You were in New Orleans on New Year's Eve and you were still capable of dialing a phone? :)

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I think we'd figured out when Australia didn't blow up that we were probably going to be OK.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

At 11 p.m., yes.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah but it's TRADITION, man.

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Ryan Seacrest makes that show unwatchable.

Draft saved Draft deleted