1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting outsourced

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Freelance Hack, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I hope you'll pardon me for this thread, but I just need a place to rant for a while.

Earlier this week, I learned the department where I work was being outsourced. A consultant from a local marketing firm who was supposedly hired to see how we could do our jobs better, now his firm will be handling most of the marketing and communications for the agency.

I'm not really upset at that because even non-profits are businesses. They'll do whatever they can to save a dime or two. If that means canning the marketing and PR staff, then so be it. The agency was at least nice enough to give us a two-week notice, plus retain a consultant to help us transition into a new job.

The CEO was even apologetic when he gave me the news, knowing that I'd only been here nine months. He kept saying that it wasn't my performance. I'm not sure how I can explain that on my resume.

What's getting to me now, though, is this non-stop parade of people coming to my office, offering their condolences. I feel as if I should be put in a casket and arrange visitation hours. Obviously, I don't mind those I was closest to coming by, but it's the people that never talked to me or had little to do with me or my department that now feel the need to say something. Part of me just wants to say "fuck off." Instead, I just nod and smile politely. I'm sure they mean well and are doing this just to clear their conscience. Hopefully, it makes them feel better.

I'm not posting this looking for a pity party (info on freelancing gigs/jobs would be a nice party gift, though). I'm just looking to vent and having done that, I'm feeling a little better.

</rant>

2. Sorry to hear that, Freelance. I hope you can bounce back quickly. :)

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The hell with lawyers. Kill the consultants!

Sorry, Freelance. That sucks.

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I had a bad feeling in the back of my head this would happen when they brought in the consultant. But at that time I'd only been here six months and I was coming off unemployment before that. So, I wouldn't have been the most attractive job seeker out there.

Thanks.

5. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

That sucks, FH. Let us know if we can help the search.

What a surprise that some schmuck from a marketing company would conclude that his company could do a better job than the people already there!

Good luck, FH.

6. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

Pack up your stapler, Milton.

7. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

My first time being corporately downsized left me pretty jaded so I just told people to fuck off and left the state. Good luck.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Fucking consultants suck ass. They're the most overpaid, worthless, know-nothing pieces of shit in existence.

9. leo1

leo1 Active Member

fwiw, pretty much everyone will understand when you explain why it's only on your resume for 9 months. they'll nod knowingly because it's probably happened to them, too, somewhere along the line.

10. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Hack, hang in there buddy. And fuck Bob Slydell and his other Bob consultant.

I recommend beer. A lot of it. And then watch Office Space with a couple of buddies.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

My serious advice is A) when you list the company on the resume, be sure to say something like "Job ended asd company outsourced the department in Jan, 2007. and B) see if the company it was outsourced too is hiring.

Having been in situations like this sucks -- I've had it happen.

12. Chef

Chef Active Member

I'm gonna have to ask you to leave now.

Draft saved Draft deleted