1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting out

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by duckncover, Jun 8, 2007.

1. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Closest papers are an hour away and neither is a viable option. We're basically in the middle of nowhere.

I had hoped to find a job near Metropolis before my wife landed a gig, but it didn't happen.

And there is literally nothing between here and my wife new locale. A small (as in one or two blocks wide) township (if you want to call it that) about halfway between, but there probably aren't 10 houses there.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Ride it out for about a year, let her get some expeience, then both of you start looking.

3. duckncover

duckncover Member

I made it! Sweet corporate gig. Wierd not working in newspapers anymore, but better everything.

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Quite frankly, I'm not sure I can last a year.

Thank God I have two beautiful kids to tuck in at night or I wouldn't even bother finishing this senten

5. JME

JME Member

I got out recently and began focusing on some internet gigs. I miss the writing -- long features and the like -- but am hoping to get my internet and freelancing work going strong enough where I can afford to do some long freelance pieces.

I was a traditional newspaper guy and my mindset was anything else just isn't legit. But with the job market stale and a lot of the hires being politically motivated, i just couldn't take it any more. Anyone who is able to move up in newspapers, at a decent rate, and get to where they feel they deserve to be, gets my utmost respect. It doesn't hurt to be damned good, lucky and connected.

6. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

I got out. After so many years.

Life is so much cooler now.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I'm torn between getting out and staying in, even though I'm not sure it's what I want to do.

It's all I know how to do, but I don't enjoy it and I don't have the drive that I believe you have to have to excel. But, if I walk away, it will be the second time I've done so, and the odds of me getting back in after that would be slim to none.

So I debate walking away from something that doesn't make me happy, with no guarantee a different job will change that.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I've never given it as much serious thought as I have the past few weeks.

9. Kevin Morales

Kevin Morales Member

Has anyone thought about going to the 'other' side and becoming an SID? There's a lot of bullshit you have to put up with and the hours are probably worse in a lot of cases, but there seems to be more job security.

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I have, but I'd have to learn an awful lot of stat programs.

11. Kevin Morales

Kevin Morales Member

True, but they're not so bad. Like any good computer program, with a little time and a bit of yelling and screaming, you'll get it.

I used stat tracker when I had a sports information internship a few years back and it only took a month or so to get the hang of it.

12. giantjay25

giantjay25 Member

I was offered an SID job about a year ago, and another former SID told me that the hours in that profession, especially at a smaller college (D II or D III), make a sports writer's hours look great.

That being said, that was the one and only time I considered it.

Draft saved Draft deleted