1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting out

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sjfan1, Sep 15, 2006.

1. sjfan1

sjfan1 New Member

I don't know which board is best for this, so feel free to move it...

I hate my boss (SE). I hate him with a passion that I can't even put into words. He has, over the past year and change, made every aspect of my life miserable.

I'm ready to quit, and I just wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions on what I could do instead of sports journalism. I've got the usual skills: a communication degree, good in quark, indesign and photoshop. AP style. Can handle deadline pressure. Good communication... etc, etc, etc.

In what fields are those skills useful? I know there's a big PR firm in the nearby big city. There are several pro sports teams in the area with media relations people. But I don't know what else I could be considering, or, more importantly, where to look for jobs in those kinds of fields.

The thing I like about sports journalism is the creativity -- of designing a good looking page, of writing an attention-grabbing story. I'd like my next job to have some similar brand of creativity to it, if at all possible. If I can't get that, so be it. But instead, I'd like to make more than the pittance I'm making as a sports journalist.

Given my current living situation, I can't leave the area until next summer (wife's job is here until then, at least). That's why I'm ready to get out of this field -- in this area, I've got nowhere to go. There are two other daily papers within driving distance, both of which would be a step up over the current place. But one is so much bigger and more prestigious I'd never dream of going from my current place straight there, and the other hasn't had a sports opening, the SE there told me when I talked to him, since the mid '90s.

So, in a perfect world, what I'd like to do is this: get another job in this area. A 9-to-5 job, whatever, I don't care. I could probably string the occassional story for either of the other two nearby dailies in my off time, just so that when next summer rolls around, if I feel so inclined, I can begin a more national sports journalism job search. But that's only if I feel whatever new job I get isn't permanent or if I just miss this field of work too much, which may happen, because when I started at this current shop, I loved it.

Anyway, sorry this is so long. If you've read this far, I just want any suggestions you may have of other jobs people with the typical sports journalist's skill set may be able to find, and where to look to find those jobs.

Thanks.

2. Stupid

Stupid Member

advertising

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

I would have laughed myself out of the room for saying this two years ago, but after going back to school for business (journalism was my undergrad) it is my firm belief that everybody should have an MBA. I've learned a lot about finance, management, marketing, etc., but most important I've learned the skills that people need to succeed within any organization. Just my two cents.

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Advertising, PR, magazines, is the paper you're at the only paper in town?

5. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

If you are that unhappy with your boss, would moving to the other side of the newsroom change anything? I'm sure there is something you can do in news. That would mean a whole new range of experiences which could help you down the road. And a different boss.

Of course, there's plenty you can do with your skills that are still journalistic (if that's important to you) and not in newspapers. Plenty of magazines and publishing companies around. Better hours at a lot of those places, too.

Just be flexible and open. And make sure it's something you like.

6. snakeplkn

snakeplkn New Member

What about graphic design? There has to be plenty of jobs in your area.

7. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

How about staying where you're at and going to online or another department in the newsroom? That way your benefits stay the same and you get to bid the asshole boss adieu.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Why not stay and find ways to make your boss' life miserable?

9. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i quit journalism for law school. so that's an option.

10. boots

boots New Member

Try general labor. It's good honest work.

11. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

yes, do that - because we all know how honest all those construction, plumbing, auto mechanic, electrical and factory companies are.

i'm joking. sort of. maybe not.

i used to swing a sledge hammer (i'm no john henry). as bob ryan wrote in his column the other day, not many like to see how the sausage is made, and that goes for plenty of businesses.

if you can live with yourself at the end of the day, that helps.

12. boots

boots New Member

I know the recipe for McDonald's secret sauce.

Draft saved Draft deleted