1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting out ... just to get out

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hey Diaz!, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Hey Diaz!

Hey Diaz! Member

Thanks, Xan, because this about sums it up for me. I want to get on with the life that exists outside of sports journalism, one that I haven't had the luxury of knowing in my post-college days.

For someone who asked what I'm interested in getting into: Not completely sure, but possibly technical writing, marketing or management. I'm also thinking about a retail gig temporarily to clear my head for a bit and see what it feels like having a job that's, well, just a job.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Just because the abuser no longer exists doesn't mean the abused don't need therapy.

3. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Insightful. Now fuck off.

4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Clever. But you know the truth. Piss off.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I sure as fuck put more stock in the words of some former journalists here than some current journalists here.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I still hang out here because sportswriters are the most fun group of people to talk to. And also because I signed up when I was still a sportswriter and didn't feel like starting from scratch somewhere else. And also because this place, despite what we may say or feel about it, is one of the very few places on the Internet that is not batshit crazy.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

This place is batshit crazy in a fun way, usually.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I bought the ticket and took the ride as far as it would take me. 23 great years I wouldn't trade for the world, time of my life. I wasn't the best (well, one year I was) but I'm pretty proud of my track record for winning more battles than I lost -- and I brought "it" every day.

Shit, had I not been fired I still might be in Trenton even though I saw myself hurtling toward something else more and more every day. The deep, abiding love for delivering the news had faded, and it wasn't fun anymore. And yes, fun has to be a part of it or what's the bloody point of it all?

But no one is gloating "Ooh, I got out of the business and you're stuck so neener neener neener!"

And I'l assume that whoever asked why ex-sportswriters come here to talk sports (and life) was being facetious.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'll never forget covering a baseball All-Star Game and being absolutely overcome by this feeling: I'm an entertainment writer.

It took a few more years, but it was the beginning of the end.

And even in the time I had left, that epiphany completely changed how I approached my job. For the better.

10. Ha! This is you trying to insult me by saying I cover swimming because you disagree with me?

Very clever!! But no, I haven't covered high schools in 20 years. Nice try, though, really!

11. Have fun with your "talk about" questions. Craft indeed.

12. Ahhhh ... now this is you trying to insult me by alleging that I ask questions beginning with "talk about" because you don't agree with me! Really, really clever, Captain Obvious!

But no.

I ask pretty good questions and don't think I've ever started one with "talk about," although it's possible it slipped out once or twice in a huge pack when we're all barking shit out and trying to get heard.

So why is it so important for you to try to insult me and my professionalism just because you disagree with something I posted?

You don't realize how silly you look?

Draft saved Draft deleted