1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting it wrong

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Trey Beamon, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I made a huge boo-boo while wrapping up my playoff basketball preview capsules.

Instead of finding a team roster online (which was readily available), I decided to wing it with 15 minutes before deadline. That is, pull a google search, find a story on the opposing team and scribble names/numbers down without thinking much about it.

So, I type it up, do a quick gammar/spell check and throw it on page two. Deadline made. Problem averted.

Well, except one. The information was culled from a story published, I'm not sure how to say this, TWO YEARS AGO. :mad:

I didn't get any complaints, phone calls or unwanted jabs at the game last night. But, I feel my credibility took a direct hit.

That said, what can I do?

It's more a general question. I'm a one-man shop and without a fact checker/editing help, this stuff happens on occasion. Though, obviously, never quite to this extent.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In the future, I would call the school (first) and local paper (second) to get a roster before going to the internet. Even the school's web site may have a roster that hasn't been touched since October and may be wrong.

If this is something that you just realize you need 15 minutes before deadline, and you don't have time for that, I would leave it out.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

And consider this a lesson learned rather than simply beating up yourself.

4. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

I can't help but think it's directly related to your no longer using a Trey Beamon baseball card as your avatar, Trey.

Don't tempt fate.

5. Screw that!
    Go beat yourself up. Punch yourself in the balls until you puke. Then swear on the grave of Grantland Rice that will NEVER, E-V-E-R, make that kind of sloppy, half-assed mistake again!
    And IF you do, you vow to go ESPN Sports Reports and beg for mercy wearing an adult diaper, doing your best Andy Dick impression while giving Mike Lupica a blowjob and Bob Ryan a reach around.

MAY GOD HAVE MERCY ON YOUR SOUL!

;) ;D

6. Babs

Babs Member

Somewhere out there, someone just made an error much worse than this. They inadvertently insulted someone, or maybe misquoted an important source.

Turn the page. Tomorrow is a new day.

7. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Need a hug?

8. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Have we learned nothing from the other thread? Hugs are unprofessional. Try a handshake or, if you must, the dreaded fist-pound.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Not to get all serious old editor on you here, Trey, but why did you wait until 15 minutes before deadline to go look for the roster?
    The fact that you waited until the last minute to get info you easily could have had earlier would piss me (an all-time procrastinator) off more than the fact that you got it wrong.
    You got it wrong because you didn't do your job when you should have... and there is no excuse for that.

10. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

you'll fuck up worse than that, trust me.

11. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Just seems like that post should end with "You are the weakest link. Goodbye."

12. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Whoa when did I become a jr. member? How's the progression of status go?

Draft saved Draft deleted