1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting back in the biz

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Jun 30, 2014.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

If you still want to do it, by all means apply. It may result in another chance, or it may provide the closure you need. Either way, it's a good thing.

Best of luck.

When I got out, I struggled with getting back in for about 18 months. I had another job, but I was freelancing on the side and was eventually offered a job very similar to the one I had lost. I decided it wasn't worth it, and turned it down, but it gave me closure, and as stupid as this may sound, it made me feel like the decision to end my journalism career was at least somewhat my decision. I'm sure it sounds stupid, but it was huge for me.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Apply and see how much the newspaper gig pays compared to unemployment, which you say you can receive in the winter. The gig may not be worth it.

3. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I'll echo what's been said. It doesn't hurt to apply. If you are offered the job and find out the pay wouldn't worth it, the workload would be too much, etc., you can always turn down the offer.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This doesn't sound stupid at all.

5. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I don't know where you live but if I was making $200 a day caddying, it would take a hell of a gig to get me to go back into newspapers.

Words can't describe how bad I want to log onto here and type the words "I'm out!," to the point that I'm considering going to work at freaking Walmart just to get back home (read my thread in the "getitng out of the business" thread

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Hey, don't knock it! :D :)

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You should look into Hobby Lobby.

Last year, they raised their minimum wage for full time employees to $14.00 an hour.

http://bit.ly/1mfY7MQ

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, but he can't have an abortion.

9. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

You either know me in real life and are trolling me or you're just trolling in general, knowing full well Hobby Lobby wouldn't work me enough hours to make that $14 worth while. Hell, even at 40 a week, that would be a significant paycut

10. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Get your hat in the ring and you can make a final choice if it comes to that later. Best wishes man.

11. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Personally speaking, if I got out of journalism, I don't think I could get back in. Between the long hours (in particular all the night meetings/events), crap pay, stress, instability of the industry, etc. I don't see allowing myself to get back into that. But I admit I'm a different place. I don't have any bucket list; I have no desire to be at the big paper in the state. Not that I'm knocking anyone who has such a desire, mind you. It's just not me. And because it's not me, it would be easier for me to walk away and never come back.

12. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Sent everything in.
    The paper is owned by the same place that owned my old chain, but the two entities operate under different management. I'd think the only way I don't get interviewed is if they call my old shop and my former bosses continue to hold the grudge they've held since before they were my bosses.
    But it's OK. I want the job because I want to get back; but I have a feeling once they tell me what they'll pay me, I won't be able to accept.

Draft saved Draft deleted