1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting an entry level job

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Soccer15211, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Soccer15211

Soccer15211 New Member

What are some tips for getting an entry level writing/reporting job?

Is there anything you look for in a cover letter/resume?

I have experience as a sports information writer (summer internship position) for a junior golf association writing feature stories and web copy, but not as a reporter for my college paper. I also have copywriting experience from another internship.

Would a newspaper or other publication consider someone with my experience for a writing position? I'm having a hard time getting a call back, so I'm thinking maybe I'm taking the wrong approach.

Again, I'm just looking for an entry level opportunity and would consider writing about something other than sports.

Any tips on what you look for or things you've done to get an entry level job would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Gob Bluth

Gob Bluth Member

I am leaving my entry level job and I would say the one thing is be willing to move. I applied everywhere coast to coast and finally a small paper called me in for an interview. You just have to keep trying and somebody will be willing to hire you if you really want to write. Also, you have to be willing to get paid nothing.

I just wanted a job, so the pay was secondary. I got by, but I am glad to be making more money. If you need anything else, just let me know.

Draft saved Draft deleted