1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting a masters degree?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so you must be queen of the cast... shit, already used. carry on.

2. PhantomPunch

PhantomPunch Guest

Count me among those who think master's degrees are overrated, and the school you went to also.

If you wanna be a journalist, get out there and on the job now. That's your master's degree. In a year or two, your experience beats anyone who thinks the classroom environment teaches the finer point. You learn the finer points on the job.

As an aside, I never met a Mizzou grad I couldn't beat in the newsroom. Great school, I guess. Teaches you all kinds of something good, or whatever. But you have to get out there and reach higher in the field, and them Mizzou grads, at least the ones I have worked with, just like to tell me that they graduated from Mizzou. And I would do eight pages, and they would do two. Go Mizzou!!! (Or Harvard, whatever. You get my drift.)

Take that for what it's worth. Get out in the field and work your butt off. That's how you get really good at this stuff.

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

From your keyboard to HR's ears, Phantom.

4. But I'm not talking about going out and leaving the business for two years to go to Columbia or something. I'm probably overqualified for doing that at this point. I'm talking about getting a (relatively inexpensive) masters in a related humanity part-time and whether that's do-able.

5. audreyld

audreyld Guest

So I shouldn't apply to Yale? Crap.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

What about an adult getting into one of these schools? A Penn or Columbia?

I've always wanted to see if I could get into Wharton, or someplace like that.

7. PhantomPunch

PhantomPunch Guest

What does that mean?

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of getting a master's in journalism so I can teach somewhere down the road. I'm getting a lot more out of mentoring younger writers than I thought I would.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's probably the exact route I'll take at some point. It's a huge thrill.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

wow, and i always went with booze when i was single.

11. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

I heartily agree with your position, sir!

or

OJT worked for me!

12. Masters in journalism? No thanks. I have a BA in English and worked my ass off to get where I ended up. Under me was a guy who spent thousands on his masters and I was handing him wire pages every night and he was putting together NBA roundups and notebook items -- money well spent on his part...

Draft saved Draft deleted