1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Getting a dog

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Diabeetus, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

My baby is chocolate brown in colour. Yeah that skit was too much on SNL.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Get a big dog. A big, loveable dog.

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I remember seeing a study a while back (can't find it now) about how a lot of apartments are putting weight limits on dogs, while in reality most of the breeds that do best in that living situation are big dogs, and most of the breeds that do poorly are small dogs (which can be destructive barkers).

Anyway, I have a ton of dog experience, and there are two things that are absolutely critical above everything else:

EXERCISE. Show me a bad dog, and I'll show you a dog that doesn't get enough exercise. A tired dog is a happy, well-behaved dog. If you have an offleash area nearby, give him an hour a day there and it will make all the difference. Especially if you live alone and are going to be gone to work for long periods.

CRATE TRAIN. A lot of people who don't have experience with dogs think it sounds strange or cruel, but it's the best plan on every level, and dogs actually like having a den. It keeps the dog safe, keeps them from housetraining accidents, and keeps your stuff safe. He might balk at first, but stick with it. My dog loves his "house."

4. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

My family adopted a year-old beagle in February ... fantastic dog. Was trained for hunting rabbits, but couldn't keep up with the other dogs because of a foot deformity.

She has her own little crate/den in the house, and she's fantastic with the kids.

In short: If you can handle the responsibility, then do it. Dogs are fun.

5. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

My family's had a beagle for 6 years now. If you have somewhere where it can roam free, I absolutely recommend getting one. They're not the smartest dogs, but they are incredibly kind to people.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

They're beautiful but Irish Setters may be as dumb as cows.

Had a boxer when I was a kid. Loved that dog.

His name was "Rocky", after Marciano, long before Stallone.

7. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

No doubt at all.

Beagles may be the stupidest dogs ever created.

But you'll never find a nicer breed.

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Beagles are big-time barkers, though, especially when left alone. Might not be a good call for an apartment.

9. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I say this without a second of hesitation: get a soft-coated Wheaton terrier. Playful, loyal, adorable, well-behaved, easily house-broken, goofy, made of pure love. I don't "technically" have one, but the neighbors across the street do and I always come over to play with him & sometimes dog-sit. Here's a pic. If this doesn't melt your heart, you must be boots.

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Phila,

Dog is cute. Is that you with the Big Ragu-style balloon head?

11. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

That is correct. And believe it or not, that balloon was NOT strategically placed. Anyway, isn't that pooch the spittin' image of a happy dog? Made out of pure love.

12. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Have to second the idea of adopting a retired greyhound. Coming from a greyhound racing family, it makes me feel good to know that they get some loving homes. When I get a yard big enough to keep some, I will start adopting.
    Right now we have a pug in a small apartment. And he is not the laid-back kind, he is insane until he feels bad. When he calms down, it's time to head to the vet for a check-up.

Draft saved Draft deleted