1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Get yer license!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by alleyallen, Feb 9, 2007.

?

Would you consider supporting some required form of marriage test and parenting test

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Children are evil. Get a pet instead

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Men are evil. Get a gun instead

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Women are evil. Self-love is the answer

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

OK, here's the deal. If your state made it a requirement that you take a test before being issued a marriage license, would you support the idea? Same goes for having a child.

Obviously, there'd be safeguards built in there to protect basic rights of citizens, but think about the improvement to society if the number of children stupid people had was reduced (OK, maybe that's too simplified an idea...) or if the number of divorces (and, subsequently, bad marriages) was reduced as well.

Thoughts? And please, let's keep this pleasant. No Dems versus GOP, no conservatives versus liberals.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I don't know about a test to get a marriage license, we need to keep the incomes of law firms and lawyers who handle divorces from the people that got married but shouldn't have high (for tax revenue purposes), but with the number of people who are idiots when it comes to parenting, maybe a license to parent wouldn't be such a bad idea

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yes. And I think eugenics is a great idea, also. ???

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

C'mon now, that's not what I meant.

The idea behind the license is to impress upon people the importance of a marriage or having a child. Basic questions, like the ones listed in another thread, aren't invasive, intrusive or offensive. And there's no right or wrong answer, for many of them. Churches require most future couples to attend counseling classes. Not sure that I see modifying that concept on a broader social scale.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'll argue the exact opposite.

Get government out of marriage altogether. Let the churches have their tests and required counseling and whatnot.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I guess I just wish there was a non-intrusive way to limit the number of marriages that needlessly end in divorce, and the impact of people having children they don't really want, etc. I'm not talking about controlling society but making life and things better for everyone.

Draft saved Draft deleted