1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Get Smart

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Jul 2, 2008.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I've been anxious to see "Get Smart," but when "WALL-E" came out, we went to say that first Sunday night. (Really, really cute movie. It's worth going to see.)

Hope to see Carell & Hathway this weekend sometime. I'm glad Carell was smart enough not to try to be Don Adams for this role.

2. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

That's my biggest reservation about seeing it. I'm not the biggest fan of Steve Carell and I just don't think he can pull it off.

That being said, I almost want to see it just because I love the TV show. (Like lisa_simpson, I also spent wayyyy too much of my childhood watching Nick at Nite...well, before it put on Roseanne, Home Improvement and the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, all of which I can remember not being in re-runs...as well as TV Land.)

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I'd like to have some chemistry with Anne Hathaway. Hubba hubba

4. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

My sister treated to me to it for my birthday weekend before last. Very, very funny movie. Some nice nods to the TV series, but they don't overdo it. And the way they got the car, suit and shoe phone into the movie was pretty clever.

Also, though I went to see it for the comedy, the action sequences in the movie are quite good.

Very strong recommendation from me for this movie.

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i've seen get smart, the hulk, iron man, indiana jones, hancock and baby mama in the last month and actually enjoyed get smart the most. do not, repeat, do not waste your money on baby mama.

6. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I didn't even know there was a Get Smart before this movie, and I enjoyed it.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I though Baby Mama was pretty decent.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

wayne, of kidney transplant fame to SportsJournalists.com members, and i loved "get smart." we'd watch reruns while shooting pool in his basement before and after school in thr early '70s. spoke to wayne today and he saw the movie the day it came out. he said it was "okay," high praise from a comedy aficionado such as himself. oh, and he hadf high praise for ms. hathaway. 8) 8) 8)
    ".
    u

9. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

That's probably why you enjoyed it then.

For us who remember the funny, funny series, it's a disappointment that they felt the need to "update it" and slink away from the original quirky humor for more special effects and less sight gags. On another note, they could try again at getting it right and have the guy from Rules of Engagement (a.k.a Puddy on Seiefled) as the emotionless Special Agent Robot Jaime.

10. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

My wife and I saw it last week, and I thought it was a cute little movie. Alan Arkin taking on the vice president was a great scene, probably the best in the movie.

Draft saved Draft deleted