1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Get-Rich Quick Scheme at KU - Ticket Scalping

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, May 26, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Good job by the folks at Yahoo on this one - first I'd read of it.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news;_ylt=AsuSS3GuLFPlD4Z76hdbTzw5nYcB?slug=ys-kutickets052610

2. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

If the Pump brothers are up to their asses in scalping what is "World-Wide Wes" doing to be so influential?

I predict that Wes will be the next target of Wetzel and Robinson.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Dan Wetzel must strike fear in any college athletic department. If I was an A.D. I would send him a nice fruit basket and hope he doesn't investigate anything at my program.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Don't believe any sanctimonious crap from the NCAA that is sure to follow this. At this year's Final Four in Indy, they partnered with a, cough, "ticket reseller" that was allowed to set up shop inside the stadium to buy tickets off fans of the losing teams from the semifinal games.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

It is good work and doesn't surprise me at all. I imagine this stuff is going on at a lot more schools than Kansas.

I've always wondered how scalpers get their hands on these stacks of prime tickets before the general public and suspected somebody at the Universities must be taking kickbacks or participating in the scheme. I'm surprised there haven't been more of these stories written. I'm sure there's plenty more material out there.

6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Here's stuff from today's press conference at KU.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2010/may/26/ku-releases-results-investigation-ticket-scandal/

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I halfway understand that because when MSU lost in the 2005 Final Four scalpers were all over our section throwing wads of money at people. We were running around to find the best deal.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

This must be a recent scheme, because back in 1995 there were lots of Rock Chalk bargains at Kemper Arena for the Elite Eight.

I paid face value (at the time $20) and if I'd waited longer, probably would've had ducats just thrown to me.

9. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

We should thank these guys for stimulating the economy by generating millions of dollars for these free tickets. How much are these tickets actually worth if they can be sold for this much money?

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've never heard of the Pump Brothers before and wonder what they do to be considered power brokers. Though I figure they act as middle men between AAU coaches and college coaches to get players to certain schools.

12. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

It doesn't take much more than a wink and a smile to be a college basketball power broker. There's a guy round these parts named Stephen Wacaser who passed himself off as a recruiting guru, and eventually got in with many big-name coaches, including Bill Self and others. He almost got a high-ranking job with the Basketball HOF before someone did a background check. Turns out he was a compulsive liar and gambler, among other things. He did a stint for bank robbery (to feed his gambling addiction), got out, and robbed two more banks almost immediately. He's back in the clink now, and will be for a while.

Draft saved Draft deleted