1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Get ready for free AOL

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Perry White, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Of course, what's on there that's so great?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060706/wr_nm/media_timewarner_report_dc

Time Warner Inc.'s AOL unit may offer its full menu of services, including e-mail, free of charge to anyone with a high-speed Internet connection, The Wall Street Journal said on Thursday, citing people familiar with the matter.

AOL could give up as much as $2 billion in subscription revenue if a gambit aimed at boosting the Internet service's advertising revenue goes ahead, the Journal said.

Under the plan, AOL would stop charging subscription fees for users with high-speed Internet access or a dial-up service from another provider, the newspaper said.

2. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Apparently, there's a lot that's on there that's still great. I mean, people who have other service, pay 14.95 a month. If they lose this and that's 2 billion dollars....the math suggests that's a hell of a lot of people paying to keep aol, despite the fact they have another service.

Then again, it could just be a hell of a lot of people who haven't figured out how to cancel AOL.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Sell that stock NOW!

5. leo1

leo1 Active Member

am i wrong or is the only reason to pay for AOL so you can dial up? my dad has AOL because he travels a ton and can't always get onto a wi-fi network but unless i'm misunderstanding something, you've got to be nuts to still pay for AOL if you have DSL, broadband or wireless.

6. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Either that, or people who for years have been using AOL e-mail accounts don't want the hassle of changing e-mail addresses. If only they had the foresight to use Yahoo, Gmail or any of the other free Web-based e-mails ...

I'm moving soon, and one of the reasons I'm strongly considering Earthlink cable Internet for my new place is because it includes something like 70 hours of dialup access -- that'll come in as a handy last-resort if I'm on the road, stuck in a hotel that charges for wi-fi.

7. leo1

leo1 Active Member

yeah, changing the e-mail address can be a pain in the ass especially if you've moved around a lot. i changed mine several years ago and kept the paid one for about a year after telling everyone i changed it for anyone who didn't change their address book.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

What stock? AOL is nothing more than a division of Time Warner these days, and I believe it's a somewhat struggling one at that.

That's why I use my Gmail account as my primary mail account. Never moves, never cancelled, no monthly payment and POP3 access so I can use Mozilla Thunderbird for mail.

9. Hank_Scorpio

The people who bought into AOL at the beginning tho, are retiring at around 45 as millionaires.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

You can dump AOL, download AIM and keep all your AOL e-mail accounts.
    I got rid of AOL 2 years ago, finally decided to download AIM and AOL Explorer about 6 months ago and all my old AOL e-mails, buddy lists and address book were instantly reactivated.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My son and I were talking about those AOL high speed commercials.

He likes the one with the swimmer best.

I'm torn between the dude on the bike with the bell and the sprinter who doesn't want to blow out a hammy.

12. Hank_Scorpio

I don't remember the swimmer in those ads, but I do remember the bike and sprinter, so I guess that tells you how much of an impact the swimmer has.

Draft saved Draft deleted