1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Get 'im one

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rambler, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Rambler

Rambler Member

Inspired by a Fenian post in Journalism Topics Only...

Who have you bought drinks for?

At the old Comiskey Park a guy I went to college with used to be a beer vendor. He'd come by and when he mentioned a celebrity was on hand we'd send a beer down...On one homestand I bought beers for Faye Vincent and Tom Selleck.

As soon as I buy a drink for Keith Richards my life will have been fulfilled.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Fuck that ... they should buy me drinks like Drew Carey. They can afford it.

Seriously, I doubt I would ever buy a celebrity a drink for just being present anywhere. If I were in a conversation with one, I could see myself offering a frosty beverage. But for just showing up? Nuh-uh.

DISCLAIMER -- Drew Carey did not actually buy me a drink, but someone posted about him buying beers for a section of American fans at the World Cup.

3. ...it ain't like dustin' crops, boy.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've actually discussed this with a number of people, but it's amazing how when someone becomes rich, people start giving him or her things for free. Hey, screw that, I love your work or whatever, but buy your own freakin' beer.

BTW, I saw Drew Carey on one of those late night shows recently -- can't remember which one, they're all the same -- where he talked about how he used to forget he was rich. He'd call up his buddies to help him move or something similar, and one of them would ask why he didn't just call a mover. Drew said he'd stop and say, `Oh yeah, I forgot! I'm rich!'

5. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

bought one for Ric Flair during his prime ... of course, he bought three or four ...

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

People buy me beer.

7. bigpern23

Jack Bauer doesn't need beer bought for him, because it would take too long and he is RUNNING OUT OF TIME! He just takes it and kneecaps anyone who gives him resistance.

8. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I bought a beer for hokie once (or was it twice?)

9. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

One time when I was in California, I bought a beer for famed SI swimsuit model Kathy Ireland.

Of course. . . . Kathy never showed so I drank it myself.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Once, a million moons ago. I did buy a round for Billy Joel and his band. They all signed a napkin for my girlfriend, who in more recent years has become my wife.

She claims she has lost that napkin. Damn it.

11. bigpern23

You think she's holding out on you so she gets it in the divorce? :p

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I somehow doubt it. But you never know ...

Draft saved Draft deleted