1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Georgia invaded!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If Russia has a go at Georgia's capital and Ukraine or Turkey get involved ... this could get really messy.

[​IMG]

As you can see, the Middle East is but a hop, skip and jump away. It wouldn't take much for Shrubby to reorient those battle groups.

WOLVERINES!

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

3. SlickWillie71

SlickWillie71 Member

This has the makings of some very fucked up consequences if cooler heads don't prevail. I don't feel good knowing that Hail to the Chimp is still looking for angles to get into Iran and could very easily swing this situation into a justification to do such. The next 7-10 days will determine if this is just a loud, violent border feud or if the seeds of something more destructive are in place.

As for the media pushing Edwards' illicit affair over this: why are we shocked? The lack of international news coverage -- compared to Edwards/Where's (fill in missing child or woman)?/celebrity hookups and conflicts -- is pathetic. I'm sure it would get more run once Madonna or Brad and Angelina get the urge to adopt a child over there.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Georgia has no chance at all in this, right?

Unless the USA starts giving Georgia better weapons (Charles Wilson!!!), this will be over fast. Outmanned and outgunned, right?

If this is about oil and a pipeline, the world just got a little scarier.

5. Sleeper

Sleeper Member

Georgia is a nation of fewer than 5 million. They stand no chance if Russia decides to keep escalating, no matter what the U.S. gives them. And Russia looks like they have no intention of stopping the fighting anytime soon. Latest off of AP:

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Russia would squish Georgia like a bug — and there's nothing we could do about it.

Nothing.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

welcome to the end of the world.
    I feel fine.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Russia has split the nation in half, and opened a second front ...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article4509692.ece

9. D.Sanchez

D.Sanchez Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Does anybody believe it's only about South Ossetia?

And doesn't sound like there'll be time to even consider organizing any Wilson style covert support. At the rate Russia's advancing, Georgia will be squashed in this fight far closer to sooner than later.

Question I was wondering: Do you think Putin would've tried this if we didn't already have our hands full with an overextended military consumed with occupying Iraq and Afghanistan? Might this be yet another collateral effect of Shrub's decision to invade Iraq.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I don't think it played a role at all. Mainly because I don't think Bush would have risked WWIII over South Ossetia's oil pipeline.

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Probably true, he wouldn't. But I suspect Putin might've been a bit more reluctant to try this if he knew we were at full capacity to respond. It also can't help that we've lost some moral authority to object to this sort of thing after our own illegal invasion of a Mideast weakling.

Draft saved Draft deleted