1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Georgia beat writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Daniel Shirley-Macon, May 12, 2015.

1. Biff Tannen

Biff Tannen Member

In which snark is the new wit. Would you mind posting (you can even PM it if you're nervous) some of your work? I'd love to learn from you. No one's taken me up on that yet, choosing instead to hide behind the anonymity of the Internet. #irony

2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Sigh, you bore me. Good luck with your job search.

LesJ9488 likes this.
  3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Lulz!

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

This all 2 funny.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Pass the popcorn. I brought the pop.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Frankly, Biff, the way you've behaved (in a word: pissy) on this thread validates the paper's decision not to hire you.

LesJ9488 likes this.
  7. Biff Tannen

Biff Tannen Member

Your pointed finger of judgement sure is sharp. Thanks for swooping in sanctimoniously (and pretentiously) three days later to wield it. It's in keeping with the theme of adding nothing to the conversation, just stopping by to pile on (from behind the safety of your computer screen) before moving to the next thread to which you will again, add nothing substantive.

I guess it's at least better than "you bore me," which everyone knows is Internetese for "I'm intimidated by your points and don't know how to refute them, so I'll feign occupancy of an imaginary intellectual high ground and scurry away." The kids call that a #ragequit (don't fret over not knowing that, you'll never have to worry about writing anything which resonates with anyone born after 1985).

Here, since you all like to pile on, go read this and tell me how terrible I am (but for the love of God don't offer up any of your own writing for critique; stay safely ensconced in your bubble of anonymity): Women's World Cup

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Sharp judgement is what we do here. To that end, a bit of analysis, if I may:

1.) RE: Fit. They're looking for a beat writer. Were they looking for an aggregator or a columnist, the job listing would have said as much. What you linked there is fine, but it's not beat work. Plus, it's on a blog purported to be about Kentucky basketball and football, but the piece is about neither. It's your blog, so yes, you can put anything on there you want, but if you're using it as a tool to help you land a mainstream media job, you should stay on topic. If that was part of your clips package, it does not show that you're a good fit for the job they have open. You've griped about the creative limits of the printed page. They put out a printed newspaper every day. It's clear from what you've posted on here that you'd feel limited by their primary format. Square peg, round hole.

2.) It is a regular occurrence on the jobs board for people to complain about getting no response when they apply for a job. The folks in Macon did you a favor by responding. They truly did.

3.) In my view, rather than "they don't want creativity," their response should be interpreted this way: "We want someone who knows what they're doing and has the experience and clips to show it."

4.) It's not your work or your creativity. It's your attitude. You didn't like the response you got, so you came on here and whined about it. If some of the responses here add nothing to the conversation, your responses are counterproductive to your own personal goal.

9. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I add something substantive to the conversation when I feel it is warranted and when I have something relevant to say. In this instance, you devolved a fairly standard job thread into a whinefest about "traditional media" not wanting creative or thoughtful writers, taking your own "imaginary intellectual high ground." Because you have little to no experience in journalism outside of your blog, as far as I can tell, your complaints and arguments had very little actual knowledge or insight behind them. It was just whining from a butthurt blogger who couldn't land a job.

That kind of thread doesn't not warrant a real response. It warrants snark, sarcasm and ridicule - even though novelist was kind and patient enough to actually effort a true response in the discussion.

And your request to see my or anyone's work so you can compare is equivalent to asking us to whip out our dicks and start measuring. It is the basest response to any actual discussion happening on this thread or elsewhere.

That is why you bore me, because you bring nothing of substance to this discussion. Not because I'm intimidated by what some UK blogger thinks.

Good luck with your job search.

LesJ9488 likes this.
  10. LesJ9488

LesJ9488 Member

That's cute, Biff. If anyone would be an authority on anonymity, it would be you with you. You seemingly have the ONE blog about UK athletics that nobody reads and drag along a Twitter "following" of less than 200. That's the definition of anonymous. But please, show us all the error of our ways.

If you're unable to build an audience now, how could you possibly do it on the Georgia beat — or for WLKY, WAVE or the Courier-Journal? A wise man once said, "The Internet is the ultimate meritocracy." I think the internet has spoken.

The Twitter desperation is entertaining, however:

Eric Kaufman ‏@PowerKNet May 7

@KentTaylorWAVE The future of WAVE 3 Sports has just been sent to your inbox (Hire me!)

11. Biff Tannen

Biff Tannen Member

," they said anonymously.

12. Biff Tannen

Biff Tannen Member

These are all valid points. While I understand that it didn't come across that way (it was literally my first post, I think), I was actually saying it tongue-in-cheek. It wasn't fair of me to expect a bunch of people who don't know me to understand that, though. But then the barrage of vitriol hurled my way put me on the defensive, and I do like to argue, so I adopted the position and ran with it. I had no idea people would take it so seriously.

But, still, mea culpa. Mea maxima culpa.

Draft saved Draft deleted