1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

George Carlin

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, May 7, 2007.

1. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Carlin's last HBO special was incredibly bad I thought. Went back and watched a lot of his stuff on youtube last night and forgot just how many times that man could make me laugh.

Hopefully we'll see that old Carlin again this time around, but I doubt it.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I bet it's either Cheech or Chong. He can't decide.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I have every CD he's ever done... Playing With My Head and What Am I Doing in New Jersey are the best...

Place for My Stuff is up there too...

I got into Carlin when I was eight, listening to Dr. Demento on Sunday nights... They played some of his clean stuff like "Ice Box Man", "Place for My Stuff" and a censored version of "Fussy Eater"

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

We should all appreciate Carlin for at least having a greater understanding of irony than most of the people who misuse the term:

"If a diabetic, on his way to buy insulin, is killed by a runaway truck, he is the victim of an accident. If the truck was delivering sugar, he is the victim of an oddly poetic coincidence. But if the truck was delivering insulin, ah! Then he is the victim of an irony.

If a Kurd, after surviving bloody battle with Saddam Hussein’s army and a long, difficult escape through the mountains, is crushed and killed by a parachute drop of humanitarian aid, that, my friend, is irony writ large.

Darryl Stingley, the pro football player, was paralyzed after a brutal hit by Jack Tatum. Now Darryl Stingley’s son plays football, and if the son should become paralyzed while playing, it will not be ironic. It will be coincidental. If Darryl Stingley’s son paralyzes someone else, that will be closer to ironic. If he paralyzes Jack Tatum’s son that will be precisely ironic."

5. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

"People don't want it near 'em. We've got something in this country, you've heard it, it's called 'NIMBY', N I M B Y. Not In My Back Yard. ... "People don't want anything near 'em. Even if it's something they believe in, something they think society needs. Like prisons. Everybody wants more prisons! Everybody wants more prisons. BUILD MORE PRISONS! but not here. Well, why not? What's wrong? What's the problem? What's wrong with having a prison in your neighborhood? It would seem to me like it would make it a pretty crime-free area. Don't you think? You think a lot of crack heads and pimps and hookers and thieves are gonna be hanging around in front of a effing a prison? Bullshit! They ain't coming anywhere near it! What's wrong with these people? All the criminals are locked up behind the wall! And if a couple of them do break out, what do you think they're gonna do? Hang around? Check real estate trends? Bullshit! They're effing gone! That's the whole idea of breaking out of prison is to get the eff as far away as you possibly can. Not In My Back Yard."

6. leo1

leo1 Active Member

same thing happened to me at MGM grand in 2004. he wasn't even the slightest bit funny. i wasn't the only one in the audience who was disappointed, that's for damn sure.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I've enjoyed him more than any other comedian in my lifetime. And, sadly, what everyone is saying about him becoming too bitter is absolutely right. His last HBO special was cringeworthy.

8. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

1. Chappelle
    2. Pryor
    3. Carlin
    4. Rock
    5. Mooney

9. JNEWFIFTY

JNEWFIFTY Member

I can't even count how many classic lines I still repeat with friends and family. Talking about ideas..."These are the kinds of things I think about when I'm alone and the power goes out." or "These are the kinds of thoughts that kept me out of the really good schools."

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Well, you're entitled to your opinion. Mine is Chappelle couldn't carry Pryor or Carlin's jock

11. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

It's not just his show. His standups are great too. Like Rock and Pryor, when he talks, you start saying to yourself "you know what, this guy is absolutely right." But unlike Rock, he dosn't need to yell be all up in your face when he does it.
    He shattered the Laugh Factory's endurance record after being on stage for 6 hours and everything was spot on funny. I remember when he came down here at Michigan State. He was scheduled to do about an 1 hour, but he ended up doing 3 hours of just free styling(everything that came out of his mouth was hilarious). It was amazing.

P.S. You're entitled to your opinion as well. I'm just stating my case.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

do you like anyone who's white chuck or are you a fucking bigot?

Draft saved Draft deleted