1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

George Carlin: IT's BAd For Ya

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Mar 14, 2008.

1. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

He definitely looked and sounded better this time than he did in his last HBO show. I like his political/social rants a lot, so I think his two best were the 1993 show he did where he bitched about the first Bush's Persian Gulf war, and also did a thing about how stupid the announcements are that they do on an airplane. And then he did another one in the mid/late 1990s where he talked about fencing in whole states and dropping off all the convicts and drunks and drug addicts there and broadcasting whatever happens to them on TV. That was hilarious.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I also agree on Carlin at Carnegie. I've lost count of how many times I've seen that. My wife and I actually ended up watching that together the day we met (long story, but a shared love of Carlin's comedy was one of the first things we connected on).

I actually hadn't brought myself to watch the new one because I was so disappointed in his last show. Somebody else mentioned it above, but he really hadn't been the same since his wife died. I really hope BYM is right and he found a little of his old form this time around.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

After watching this new special several times I must admit it's his best stuff in a long time. He's in absolute ruthless mode and his attacks on religion are classic.

4. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Years ago in Vegas, friend and I took in his live show, both being Carlin fans from way back. His show was terrible. It as angry, grumpy old Hippie still mad at the government type stuff that wasn't funny. It was only sort of the nervous type laughter that came from the crowd. I think he was trying out material for his BO special -- which he'll do live -- and canned it later.

His warm up guy was a lot better. Wish I remembered his name.

Maybe he's gotten through a rough spot.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I didn't think he ever stopped being ruthless. He just stopped being funny for a while.

Draft saved Draft deleted