1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Genius Is Misunderstood.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fenian_Bastard, May 14, 2008.

1. D.Sanchez

D.Sanchez Member

That's really his blog? Kinda low rent, don't you think?

2. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I made it about a 1000 words before giving up.

It reads like an average kid, straight out of school, trying too damn hard to be Gary Smith. Which, you know, is the first time that has ever happened.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

It's an appropriate place for him to really kick back.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

So there I am, in Sri Lanka, formerly Ceylon, at about 3 o'clock in the morning, looking for one thousand brown M&Ms to fill a brandy glass, or Ozzy wouldn't go on stage that night. So, Jeff Beck pops his head 'round the door, and mentions there's a little sweets shop on the edge of town. So - we go. And - it's closed. So there's me, and Keith Moon, and David Crosby, breaking into that little sweets shop, eh. Well, instead of a guard dog, they've got this bloody great big Bengal tiger. I managed to take out the tiger with a can of mace, but the shopowner and his son... that's a different story altogether. I had to beat them to death with their own shoes. Nasty business, really. But, sure enough, I got the M&Ms, and Ozzy went on stage and did a great show. [/wayne'sworld2]

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

What about the back page of SI? Or would every issue have to have a fold-out back cover to handle the wordiage? If SI can hire Dan Patrick, it sure as heck can hire Simmons.

6. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

I wonder if the South Boston High piece was the source if this current blowup. I could see it from both sides, why he'd want to post it and follow up, and why they'd say no.

I thought the Buzz line was funny, incidentally, and I'm not much of a Sports Guy fan.

7. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Can't Simmons make himself useful and type some damn track agate into the system? That track agate isn't going to type itself, you know.

8. In Exile

In Exile Member

He simply doesn't work nearly as well in print, on the page, as online, can't do radio, can't do tv, can't do extended long form, can't report, can only... do what he has been doing, and its getting old for him, the readers and his employer.

All of a sudden he's the entrenched old fart he started out bitching about. Happens to us all.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Now that is funny.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Apropos of nothing ...

As for Simmons ... never read him, never cared, got nothing but a video clip. (Not Rick.)

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

One day in my high school physics class, a friend of mine notices one particularly geeky classmate standing next to the bald, bespectacled teacher, and shouts: "It's Dr. Honeydew and Beaker!"

That teacher grew a beard immediately and wore it the rest of the school year.

12. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

One can only imagine how long it was before he decided to "tighten the piece one last time."

Draft saved Draft deleted