1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Geneva Conventions U-turn

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportschick, Jul 11, 2006.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Good.

I'm always glad to see the Bushies decided the Democrats were right after all.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Which, of course, never should have been an issue to start with.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

My argument to Bush back then would have been, "We should set the example we'd like the world to follow." Plain and simple.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Be nice if the folks who were beheading our uniformed soldiers and non-combatant civilians would realize that too.

But they won't. Even if we had set an example by treating non-uniformed terrorists like POWs.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I'm not saying us obeying the convention will save our troops while in the hands of others. But neither does it mean we ought to abandon all thoughts of civility and right and wrong just because someone else did.

7. Also, this is election-year -- also Day Of The Hamdan Hearings In Congress -- window-dressing.
    Doesn't address the CIA prisons overseas, and I don't believe these clowns will follow through on it anyway.

8. Armchair_QB

Not sure how we abandoned all thoughts of civility and right and wrong by actually locking up terrorists. And let's not go down the Abu Ghirab route again seeing as how that was a bunch of whack jobs who should be treated the way they treated those prisoners.

9. You honestly believe the "few bad apples" argument, given what we now know about the legal underpinnings of what this adminstration believes its powers are during its self-declared "wartime."? I can't any more.

10. Armchair_QB

Given that there's zero evidence that type of crap went on anywhere else, yeah I do. Hell, we've got guys who go through the day having shit, piss and god knows what else thrown at them down at Guantanamo yet they still allow those animals to hold their daily prayers and read their Koran. I'd say we're treating the prisoners with more compassion than they deserve.

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I would quickly like to steer you away from that line of argument, FB, simply because my beef is with the administration, not the military. THat's not to say the military is fault-free, but given the steaming pile they've been handed, the majority is trying to do the best it can.

12. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Well, la-de-fucking-da.

The Bushies, who lie with breathtaking impunity, can say one thing. Doesn't mean they won't do another.

And when they inevitably do, who's going to hold the administration accountable? Same with the recent smackdown they got from the Supreme Court -- who is going to enforce it?

The rubber-stamp Republican Congress?

The brain-dead, scared-of-their-own-shadow Democrats?

The fourth-graders in the Washington press corps?

Yawn. Move along, nothing new to see here.

Draft saved Draft deleted